• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tierod failure

My family and I went camping out in the gila national forest with our m925a1 AKA Kong. Apparently it has been raining really good up there and it decided to pour while we were there. The first night it just sprinkled for about 3 hours so it wasn't too bad, then the next morning we were on our way along some dirt backroads exploring and stopped for lunch in a campground at the bottom of a canyon. As we were eating it started to POUR and I do mean POUR! We started cleaning up and got inside, as we looked outside we started seeing a river flowing down the canyon. For some reason the road followed alongside the river and crossed it about 10 times. Thing is we had to get out of that canyon before the entire canyon was flooded. The water was rising pretty quick and we didnt want to get washed away so I put in the plug in the bell housing and went for it. There were a few rises out of the crossings but the water was rising up to them. In some parts the water was at the top of the wheels and we were all getting worried if we were going to make it. At the 7th crossing I apparently hit a log and it snapped the tierod shaft. DANG! I didn't know what happened to it until we got to high ground and out of danger. It felt like a flat tire because it was hard to steer. I was amazed that it was able to keep on driving even though it snapped. We sat for a while waiting for the rain to let up and finally it did but if we had not gotten out when we did the truck may have been trashed.

Once the rain let up I examined it more closely and it snapped right where it screws in on the passenger side of the truck. Iwas able toget the piece of rod out of the tierod which I was amazed. There was one thread left on the shaft and that wouldn't have been enough to hold it together so I got a hacksaw blade out of the toolbox and carefully followed the thread halfway around the rod then I screwed it in and backed it out a few times to clean my so called thread. I then followed around again and repeated a few times in order to get about 3 1/2 threads on the rod. I had a tow strap to use as a measuring tape for alignment of the tires. I toed them out about 3/4 of an inch because as you drive forward it would push the rod together and not stress the threads as much. It took about 4 hours to get it put back together and it was getting to be dusk. So we crossed our fingers that it would hold and not snap again as we had to drive another 12 miles to get to a paved road and another 10 miles on that road where we could get to a house. But we weren't going to drive all that in the dark. So we slowly drove along (no more than 10mph) to find a spot to camp over night. We drove about 3.5 miles and then went to bed.

This morning we drove out very carefully down towards the main road when we saw someone coming along the road. He stopped and told us that some peopl went missing overnight right out where we were and said they were due back yesterday. Lets hope they are ok. As we were talking to him we asked if there was a place to leave the truck for a few days while I got a new shaft. He told us here was a place a little ways down. So we went on our way and got to the place the guy told us about. The fellow there was very nice and he let us use his phone and said we could leave it there for a couple days. So I called someone to come pick us up and bring us home. Just a 2 hour drive but still a ways.

Once I got home I tracked down a shaft here locally, so it looks like tomarrow I will go back up there and fix it. I thought going camping for a few days was going to be relaxing but apparenly not. Oh well we are pretty lucky that we just broke a tierod shaft rather than loosing the truck. I just wanted to share my adventure with you guys and what "fun" we had.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We are glad you and your family made it out safely. That's what matters most. The good Lord had your back. Good job on your field expedient repairs. This is definitely a testament to carrying spare parts and a good set of tools.

Flyingvan911

Glad everyone is safe. Great work. And don't forget a pic of the old tie rod if you still have it around. Seeing the failure could be useful to someone in the future.

I will take some pictures whenever I go and fix it. Whenever I was looking at the tierod shaft it looks very light duty and is very thin especially around the threads. You think for the size of truck it is on it would need to be really strong. It seems like a weak link in the steering system. We are very lucky that the rod held until we could get some help. I was certainly amazed that it held. I was certainly expecting it to fail the second I started moving but I was amazed that it held the 22 miles with no bending or moving of the threads.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bad luck, but I like reading stories like that - Its always great to kinda halfway know what you're doing when something goes wrong! :)

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Centrifugal force keeps the tire moving in a straight line. I had a shaft separate on a tractor trailer while rolling down the highway, steering felt weird. Pulled over and no I didn't notice in the dark. When I got to my exit and had to turn at the bottom, still made the turn but but definitely figured out what was going on. (this truck had been in the shop for steering issues a day before unknown to me until I called my boss once I made it back and parked). Made it back to the yard and even parked the units into a reverse space.. Awesome story, thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Well I thought I tracked down a tierod shaft for the truck but when I went to go pull it off the parts truck it was different. Instead of the threads being on the outside of the shaft they were on the inside. I guess I will use a tierod end puller to get them off and and replace it all in order to make it work. The truck I will be getting it off of was rebuilt not too long ago and mine was rebuilt in 94. Maybe they changed the design of the system because they figured out the original design was flawed. If anyone knows about this please chime in.

Anyone know if a regular car tierod end puller will work or do I need to buy a large truck one?

crasheej

Going to need the big boy tool. You might try a long bar and a big hammer. Put the bar on the end and pry down and hit the tierod mount with the hammer.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I looked at mine and the outer tie rods are male threaded. The drag link has female threads and acts also as the adjusting sleeve to set toe in/out

napa part numbers I believe are napa chassis 269-2485 right hand threads:
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Tie-Rod-End/_/R-NCP2692485_0290292114

269-2486 left hand threads:
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Tie-Rod-End-Outer/_/R-NCP2692486_0403887767

The latest parts tm from 9/2012 shows the same thing: Did they install the wrong assemblyView attachment TM-9-2320-272-24P-2-Parts-n-Tools-2012 pg 204- 207.pdf? Meritor customer service might be able to help as the tm part numbers look like meritor numbers:

Last edited:
I went yesterday and found a puller set that will hopefully work. I will try it on the parts truck first and if it works good it should work on my truck. I will also post pictures of my tie rods and shaft as it sounds like you guys have the upgraded version of them. Here is a picture of the tierod end of the parts truck. Mine is the opposite and has the male threads on the shaft instead of the ball joint.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376687545.060606.jpg
Then a picture of the puller set that will hopefully work.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376687787.957827.jpg
Then a few pictures of the troubles.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376687954.386750.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376687987.560783.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376688103.248206.jpg

Its kind of hard to see but in the last picture the set up is different than most.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I have a 55 and a 73 5t (both wreckers, the heavy of the heavy) in my driveway, both have the tie rod shown in your last pic. solid tie rod. It seems that a solid tie rod would be stronger, can be straightened if bent, a hollow tie rod can't, the threaded part looks bigger in diameter on the solid tie rod then on the ball joint end.

Ok so yesterday arpund 2 I went to go get the new part for my truck. We used the puller and with a few wacks of the hammer they popped right out. Then we drove the 2 hour drive up to my truck and started working on it. We got the castlenuts off and soaked them in wd-40. Then we put the puller on and torqued it down and started beating on it. NOTHING! It didn't budge at all. We pounded for about 45 minutes and we pretty much gave up. Then a fellow came up to us and wanted to see if he could help. We said go right ahead. He started just going at it and then he said ok. It popped out! It seemed to work better if there was no puller on it which seemed stupid to me but as long as it worked I don't care. Then once the tierods were all bolted down we measured to check the alignment and just like it is supposed to be 1/4in toe in. We got onthe road around 7 and drove back to the nearest town and got some burgers for dinner around 8:30. Then we drove back 1.5 hours to my house getting back around 10:00 pm. It was a long day yesterday but at least thats all fixed and nothing went wrong on the drive back. I will take apart the old tierod and show where it broke and post some pictures later.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376936826.033050.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376936846.922705.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376936876.751012.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376936887.398113.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks