• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tiger Tool Alternative

Jackota

For those of you planning on replacing u-joints and/or driveshafts in the future, here's a more cost effective option vs. buying a Tiger Tool. After watching Dave Anderson's video about his homemade "T-Rex" tool, I found a ready-to-go product which functions identically to it. If you don't have the means to fabricate one like Dave, this seems like a good option to get the job done as shown in the video.

The one I bought is an EnRand 5192 Bearing Cup Installer Tool, which can be found from $30 - $40. I'd only recommend this if you are removing the u-joints in order to replace them, as it requires separating the plate from the bearing cup on at least one end.

81BaiQiyPyL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
BFH fixes everything. :D
Putting stress on dinky 5/16 holes isn't smart nor something I would advise. Proper prior installations help down the road though. I have only ever beat em out. Usually just a few hits.

coachgeo

Or a decent hammer and firm repeated hits gets em apart pretty simple as well.
Some have suggested also a jack (with a lot of cribbing) and a socket works good. Hard part is jocking the truck back and forth to get the driveshaft cap pointing straight down. (or other jacks to lift rear end so you can turn tires with tranny in neutral). you might get lucky and find a place to push against if you have small bottle jack. Either way then just jack up against cap and push . As they say....sometimes you gotta do... what ya gotta do. with what you got on hand... to get the job done

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yes and no. Now this was not on a MV but it took me the tiger tool and one inch air impact to get the U joint out. I am glad I had both at the time of R&R.
Stubborn ones simply require a ratchet strap and jackstands, let momentum be your friend

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stubborn ones simply require a ratchet strap and jackstands, let momentum be your friend
Let the correct tool be your friend. By the time you tried the ratchet straps and carried your jack stands to the job I am done or already down the road. When working in a shop with as many trucks to run through I was glad to have the Tiger.

Last edited:

AllenF

Or a decent hammer and firm repeated hits gets em apart pretty simple as well.
Yah I tried the hammer thing just to see if they were not in too tight. Very little movement. Yes I could have gotten a bigger one but I saw the impacts to involve more then the U joints. It was also involving the yoke and the bearings that support it in the differential. Bearings by design are hardened and hardened is brittle. The harder and more often you smack them the more likely they will be affected. These bearings are a lot of work and money to replace. You figure out where your time and money is well spent. Amazon has this tool by OEM Tools "Heavy Duty Truck U-Joint Puller" . Model # 24538 it costs $110. It looks to be very well built and comparable to the Tiger tool . I think it will do just fine. If not I can return it.

ramdough

Yah I tried the hammer thing just to see if they were not in too tight. Very little movement. Yes I could have gotten a bigger one but I saw the impacts to involve more then the U joints. It was also involving the yoke and the bearings that support it in the differential. Bearings by design are hardened and hardened is brittle. The harder and more often you smack them the more likely they will be affected. These bearings are a lot of work and money to replace. You figure out where your time and money is well spent. Amazon has this tool by OEM Tools "Heavy Duty Truck U-Joint Puller" . Model # 24538 it costs $110. It looks to be very well built and comparable to the Tiger tool . I think it will do just fine. If not I can return it.
That is the model Fuzzytoaster uses.... he does a lot of these trucks. I bought the same one and it works. Just be careful, the puller is strong and some yokes want to bend before they let go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep I thought instead of wasting the money on a big fricking hammer a big rock will do right.
Yea the cheaper aftermarket one will work just fine for what or as many times we might use it just get the correct size for the U joint you are working with. The shop I was helping get off the ground had 52 trucks that rolled in every night and had to be ready for the next day hopefully. They also supplied the Tiger. Yes I have the Tiger brand now but I could have gone with the aftermarket one. Makes quick and easy to recover a truck that need the front propeller shaft pulled like the FMTV's. Just remember to remove the grease zerk first or you will have to use and easy out to get the broken piece out of the joint later. Even if you have to replace a bad U joint yourself there are somethings I do not like to fight with. Girls, venomous snakes and U joints are just a couple. I almost got sick to my stomach seeing the video and the guy with the chisel. If you really must act like a cave man you just twist off the cap not try and pry it up with a screw driver / chisel!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks