• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tilt Steering Column Swap questions...

Asmoday

Hello All,

So I have been reading about the steering column removal and it seems pretty straight forward.
My questions are the following...

I have an 85 M1009 and my donor tilt column is coming from a 87 Blazer...Will the columns directly swap across physically with no problems? The 87 tilt column has the cruise control style and intermittent wiper lever.

I have all new electronics in the 85 column from a rebuild a year or so ago and I do not want the cruise control style lever in 87....Can I transfer all the electronics (turn signal and wiper switch) and new ignition lock from the M1009 column directly into the donor tilt column during the swap?

I basically want the tilt style column but I want to pull everything else from the M1009 column and drop it in the tilt column since even the turn signal lever on the M1009 is a brand new old stock lever?

Anything I should worry about...? Is this possible? Any cautions on the project?

Thanks!

richingalveston

Easy swap. I have one in My 1009 from an 87 suburban, I would keep the intermittent wipers even though I have had trouble with mine I need a new pulse module (the box at the bottom of the column). A new switch for the column is recommended but is actually the hardest part of the job. Need tools for the steering column work. You can get a new switch for the column pretty cheap so I would recommend not messing with your existing column to get the new one out of it. I believe you can get a switch that has the intermittent wipers without the cruise control. I got my new switch at LMC. I got the cruise control one just in case I ever do a 6.5 swap.

Asmoday

I've already done the wiper switch replacement on the M1009 column and yes it was a bit of work. I have all the necessary tools so maybe easier to get a new one for the tilt and install... is this the new column switch are you referring to on the 87?

I don't remember seeing the pulse box...? Does that come out attached to the column?

All the column brackets are the same...correct?

Thanks!

richingalveston

yes, all the brackets are the same, just remove the old column and put in the tilt column. It will bolt up exactly like the other came out. there is a black box on the bottom of the tilt column that your wiper switch will plug into. There is a 5 wire flat plug that goes from this box to the wiper motor. The non intermittent switch is a five wire flat plug the intermittent switch is a 7 wire plug. The 7 wire plug goes to one side of the pulse box and the 5 wire from the wiper motor goes to the other side. Without the pulse module you will have to change the switch in the tilt column to a non intermittent switch so that both plugs will be 5 wire.
The wiper motor does not change. Same motor works for both it is just a different switch and the pulse box to make intermittent wipers.

I would just change the columns and try the existing switch. If your column came with the pulse box removed then you may want to just add the pulse box and later change the switch if it is needed.
I am now in the process of getting a new pulse box for mine. I can send you pics of my existing box if needed.

sierrajcharlie

I did the swap a few weeks ago and it was pretty straight forward. Pull out, bolt in. It came from my "donor" rig so I already had the key so that was another bonus for doing the swap. However, the plugs on the upper side of the column that are right together, need to be turned 180 degrees. They were that way on mine anyway. My intermittent wipers don't work so I guess a new control module is needed Just for the giggles of it, I bypassed the control module and plugged the 5 wire and 7 wire connector together. The wipers worked the same with or without the module. Your results may vary.

richingalveston

you can get a new, no cruise control with intermittent wipers from LMC for $20. For that price, I would not take apart my old column to get the switch out. I did not realize the seven wire plug would plug into the 5 wire but since it will, you can then get the pulse module whenever the funds are available.

Asmoday

A huge thank you to all for the info...! It's really helpful. The only other question that comes to mind since you guys have answered all the others is I put in a new ignition switch that was keyed alike with my door locks a while back in the current M1009 column.

Does anyone know if I can use the same ignition assembly in the tilt column? I really want to keep the one key for all locks and I know for a fact that the ignition assembly in the donor tilt column is jacked up. I can pull the key out in the run position on it so it needs replacing as well. I would really like to be able to use the current "new" ignition assembly in the donor tilt column...

Thanks!