• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Time for new super singles. Need some wisdom.

darksheep85

Hello all, I bought my deuce last year and it already had Michelin XL G-20's on it with custom wheels from Atlas. I love the setup, except for one thing. The wheels were made in such a way that because of the valve stem placement, you cant flip the wheels around and actually rotate your tires in the conventional manner. The valve stems will hit the drums if you try to flip the wheel around. The front wheels have to stay on the front, and the rears have to stay on the rears. Hubs are not flipped, front wheels dished out, rear wheels dished in, and they all track in line.

But, soon it became apparent how deteriorated the tires were. The sidewalls were riddled with dry rot cracks, as was the tread. I've since had to replace 1 tire on the rear with a near new XL. I struggled trying to change it myself for about 2 hours and then called the Love's truck stop about 4 miles away and had them come do a "road call" and I helped the guy for another hour changing the tire. We had to cut the sidewall from the bead out with a cutting disc to get the old tire off the rim. The new tire went on a lot easier, but would not seat on the bead at all. We tried ratchet straps, the big boom box air tank, and finally had to pack the bead with snotty tire soap. We were chasing bubbles around the inside and outside bead until it caught and started to inflate.

It was the best $130 I think I've ever spent.

So now, a year later, I have another tire with a huge dry rot crack in the sidewall, one totally bald tire, and my 2 steer tires are cupped and shake like crazy.

I'm ready for the hurt of buying, shipping, and mounting 6 tires, but I want some opinions and experience with the different types of 395's out there. I run 20 lbs of air in the my rears and 45 lbs in the front. The tires were wearing in the middle when I bought the truck (they had 50 lbs all around) and I've not been able to get them to wear evenly. The pictures I've seen of brand new tires, I've noticed a few things that might be in relation to the problem of wear.

Michelin XL have a rounded tread cross section. Like a NDT. They ride on the middle of the tread. Even with no air in them.

Michelin XML have a slightly flatter cross section but it still appears to have some curve to it.

Michelin XZL seem to have a very flat tread. Something I would expect would wear very evenly without having to run such low air pressure, you'd be scared to take a corner at speed and a bead comes unseated.

Goodyear MVT also a very flat tread, similar to the XZL. But honestly, I don't think I would want Goodyears. Call it personal preference, bad history, worse stories.

I've also seen something to the effect that the XZL were made in 2 different tread depths. A deep, and a not so deep. Any truth to that?

Anybody have suggestions as to what air pressures to run with 395s? It's a M35A2 W/W and I dont haul anything.

What experience does anybody have with the types of 395s out there? Wear? Ride? Noise? Air pressure? Cracking? Tips and tricks?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
There are vendors here that have good tires for decent money.

The spigot for super single tires is still open from the gooberment for now. You might go to a certain government surplus website and see if you can by them yourself close by or you can pay a middleman and get them that way.

In my humble (and old) opinion the best money you will ever spend is having a professional mount these tires. My guy charges me 25 bucks a tire unless they need Orings. I'm just too old to attack them with a duck billed sledge and tire irons.

Hope this helps.

darksheep85

I have a couple good avenues for new tires. Ive been eyeballing a certain place in wisconsin that has some tires for sale on eBay. And yes, I will be taking the truck to a local tire shop that handles tractor and equipment tires regularly, drop it off, and have them call me when it's done.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just my observations.

THE xzl were made in different speed ratings with a higher one specifically for the MRAPS that had a higher speed than the lmtv. I don't think the depth of the tread was changed.

XML are out there on lmtv but I believe they no longer make them so you will find older tires and there are more prone to cracks etc. Not sure due to materials or age or both.

Goodyears are out there and currently used so fresh rubber is available like the xzl.

I use the mvt on a 5 ton and I am very happy with the tread capabilities offroad and highway. Great traction all around. I had someone at a show Sat swear they "looked" wider than the zxl of the same size. No idea but I am very happy on my truck with them.

I think the fmtv and mraps use 80 psi for the 395. That is what I run.

skinnyR1

I have the goodyear MVT's. I mounted them myself by hand on A3 wheels. Other than the weight, I would say it was not overly difficuty, once you know what you are doing. I used the rubber beadlock inserts, so they seat immedietly. The two piece rims are much easier to do than a one piece.

They seem to be wearing fine after a couple thousand miles. I run 30 in the back and 40 in the front. They are bouncy on the highway, more so than the stock NDT's, but I think that is inherent to the super singles and the lack of weight on these high cap tires. I went with the MVT's as they are supposed to be friendlier on the roads with the less aggressive tread. And they are. Pretty quiet, and even wear so far.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've also seen something to the effect that the XZL were made in 2 different tread depths. A deep, and a not so deep. Any truth to that?
That is correct:

• NSN 2610-01-552-5577; 395/85R20 Michelin XZL L/R "J" (Catalog #54331) shows 33/32nds tread depht. (appl.: Cougar FPII; RG33; RG31-A3)
  • NSN 2619-01-572-6017; 395/85R20 Michelin XZL L/R "J" (Catalog #94675) shows 26/32nds tread depht. (appl.: MaxxProDash MATV MRAP)

G.

Special T

The goodyear mvt will likely wear the best for on road use that design is the closest to the semi truck designs. The void or gap between lugs determins the traction and wear. The wider the gap the more traction offroad and the less wear on road. XML will have the worst wear and best traction. If memory serves right the 395 are 3-4"shorter than the 1400/G20 tires.

Lukes_deuce

I have the MVTs on my M813. Drove 225 miles to PA, was off road all weekend with the Rausch Creek group and then drove 225 miles back. No issues and nice road manners. Plenty of offroad traction. Never had an issue or close to getting stuck. I personally think they area nice blend of larger tire with good manners on road and off road.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd go with G177s on a deuce but back on topic I put MVTs on my M915, M923A2, and a few dueces and loved them all the way. Avoid the XMLs unless you can verify their date as they tend to be an older tire thus more prone to cracking.

Gunzy

My personal preference is the Goodyears as they have a strong/better designed sidewall to them. Michelins have a very soft sidewall and when they sit flat for a short time damage the sidewalls, I have seen a lot of them, where the Goodyears air back up and show no problems. The 395 tire height is right between the 11.00R20(43") and the 14.00R20s(49") at 46" tall. We put a full set of 395s with runflats on an M925 and the guy likes them. In the end the choice is yours.

darksheep85

That is correct:

• NSN 2610-01-552-5577; 395/85R20 Michelin XZL L/R "J" (Catalog #54331) shows 33/32nds tread depht. (appl.: Cougar FPII; RG33; RG31-A3)
  • NSN 2619-01-572-6017; 395/85R20 Michelin XZL L/R "J" (Catalog #94675) shows 26/32nds tread depht. (appl.: MaxxProDash MATV MRAP)

G.
Is there something on the sidewall in relation to the #s you posted that could determine what they are? Or is it just something you gotta know which is which when they are ordered new from michelin? I just wanna know because I just have pictures on ebay to go off of. They may be able to actually measure the tread depth for me though.

aleigh

I have 395 Goodyears on a LMTV. I like them very much. Most of my driving is on-road or fire roads, a little mud. Have not had problems, other than I tore the sidewall out of one on a rock, kind of a freak thing. They ride well on road, are okay in the rain, seem to float fairly well in sand (been out on the beach with them). Have not dealt with ice or snow.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there something on the sidewall in relation to the #s you posted that could determine what they are?.....
Wish I could answer that one... but I don't have any of these near me, right now, to closer inspect them.
This may be a question directly for the Michelin people in Greenville, SC (1-888-622-2306). There should be some kind of distinctive code or number, I guess.

If ordering new I would simply go by their catalog numbers and eventually measure/confirm the tread depth.

G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks