• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Time for some new belts?

panshark

I've worked my way into a mess with my Duece, maybe somebody can point me in the right direction. I hear an obnoxious howl/squeak when I rev up, and smells like a belt might be burning.

I think this is how I got things messed up. I was tooling along the interstate, ear protection in place, and drove about 50 miles before I shut down and went in to work. Came out later, no power...checked battery box, one of the clamps had disconnected from the battery cable. (I had a brass clamp with a wingnut clamping on the cable, screw vibrated loose and fell out.) I was in a rather large hurry to get the truck in motion (wife was at the urgent care center) and a field-expedient shuffling around in the battery box got the truck back up and running. Fired up without a problem. Later in the day, got clamp tightened back down.

I had my buddy come and pick my truck up from town, he said the truck is now making a howl when it's revved up, i.e. not idling. Says it won't howl when he turns off accessory, so when he drove it home he alternated having the accessory switch on/off. He thinks I might be needing to replace the generator.

Ideas?aua

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Running with a disconnected battery cable usually leads to a bad voltage regulator(internal) to the 60 amp alternators on an M35A2.

It sounds like yours is putting out full charge(not regulating), which is what they do when the battery cables are not connected(it senses the voltage and increases output based on the battery voltage.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should go ahead and replace the belt. Once it starts slipping, it is most likely ruined, and it sounds like yours did a lot of slipping.

Heavysteven

When you replace your belts post some pictures and any thing you learn. I am going to replace all of mine soon.

FYI: I purchased a complete set belts and filters from Deuceman. They arrived on time and as promised.

Jimma

Whats a good place to get a new generator belt for the M35A2? One of my trucks is screeming real loudly when the accessory swith is turned in the up position. It stops when I turn it off.

Heavysteven

NAPA I will post a the number when I get home

If you replace one belt your better off to good ahead and do them all. That way you only cut your knuckle once on the radiator fins

Last edited:

oddshot

Who is this "Deuceman" and where can I find his company?

A LOT of people around here seem to buy parts from him and have good things to say.

oddshot

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks