• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Time to connect the 803

jimbo913

With the mild winter in the mid-atlantic, I only just now moved the 803 into winter position next to the house. Installed a leather cover over the power cord (along with a bunch of other welding/cutting/hydraulic leads), and I have been stocking up on diesel while its on sale.
Will look for a decent low cost fuel can which holds about 15-20 gallon and works with the aux fuel cap. Ideal setup would be with an additional cap on the aux fuel can so I can top off that can while it is connected to the MEP. I could use a 55 gal drum but it would be nice to be able to take the can to gas station if needed, and be able to manually lift it in/out of the pickup.

Hoping we can avoid the ice storms this winter and so far have not needed the 803 for home backup. Even the small power blips we have been plagued with have stopped since I bought the MEP.

Attachments

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the VP Racing fuel cans, You can find them on &bay and free shipping.
They pour nice and do not leak.

Chrispyny

Great idea.

Here is what i did. Found a made in america gas caddy used at a local auction house, bid $150 and won. They are $500+ when new. Was used on a farm for diesel so all i did was drain the 9 gallons in it, added 10 oz of power service winterizer and lube, and filled it up with 28 gallons of #2 diesel. I didn't know how old the off road diesel was that was in it, so i donated it to my mechanic which was happy to dump it in his waste oil burner with a smile.

Its 300 lbs when full so i off load it with my kubota bx2660 when i get home. This should last a year or so with no power outtages. I use my kubota for everything from mowing the lawn to side jobs doing lawn restorations with a friend.

I still may buy a 30 gal drum and fill it with diesel so i can use the aux fuel kit instead. The benefit to this system i have now is, the fuel caddy has wheels, and i don't have to fiddle with aux fuel hook ups under stress during a power outtage.

By the way, i'm currently hooked to the 802a doing a first time test. Everything is running superbly!

Attachments

Last edited:

jimbo913

I looked at the fuel caddy but dont really need the pump or hose. I just need a good low cost container with dual 2" openings with caps. Ideally low center of gravity so its not much higher than bed rails and easy to transport. I am sure something exits that is cheap.

Chrispyny

Amazon has legit 30 gallon drums for $55 plus $20 shipping? The aux fuel bung kit pops right in. 30 gal is easier to move. A hand cart can move it easy enough even.

jimbo913

Still looking.. I found 15 gallon drums with two bungs and two handles for $59 but hoping to find even cheaper. Thats not bad though considering if you put the word "fuel" in the description the price would double.

justacitizen

has anyone used the aux bung adapter? do you have to vent the barrel so it doesn't collapse? if you do vent it how do you keep water out of the barrel since the top is recessed?

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For steel barrels you may want to check out recycling companies near you.
I found a place near me in Massachusetts that was selling 55 gallon drums with bungs for $10. They were essentially brand new, clean original paint, no scratch's. Were only used once for shipping various cooking oils. I grabbed a pair for storing diesel.

jimbo913

I suspect you need a vent. That is part of the reason I want a barrel with two bungs. Second reason is to refill the aux barrel while the generator is running and connected to the aux barrel.
I am sure that they make all types of automotive vents that you could fab into the barrel/barrel cap. Could simply use plumbing parts to make a vent out of the cap with a downward elbow. Seal with rtv where needed.

RIrvin

Because of limited space and difficulty moving large fuel containers, I have used smaller (16 Gal.) metal drums. My understanding is that long term storage of diesel fuel is best accomplished in full metal containers to mitigate chemicals leaching from the container and to lessen moisture accumulation.
FYI : Note leaking at base of drum...stopped with JB weld applied to drum lower crimped seal.Because of limited space and difficulty moving large fuel containers, I have used smaller (16 Gal.) metal drums. These drums were about $25 at a local petrol oil supplier.
16 GAL DRUM.jpg

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For anyone concerned about moisture on a vented tank or a tank that isn't completely full, give a search for "desiccant fuel breathers". That will give you some idea to purchase or build your own.

Edit:
I'm going to be building a few for my storage system from some compressed air filter housings and a pack of silica gel.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
The way we did this in the shop here in Germany, was to get a 5 ton fuel tank and put wheels under it. I like to use the big tanks because I needed to only fill it up once a month. A 5 ton fuel tank was best. Aluminum, no rust. It had a fuel strainer in it to keep the big things out of the fuel. I used the normal fuel fitting for fuel out, and the fuel return worked just fine also. And its vented.

justacitizen

this is what i did. except i used a tank from a commercial truck

The way we did this in the shop here in Germany, was to get a 5 ton fuel tank and put wheels under it. I like to use the big tanks because I needed to only fill it up once a month. A 5 ton fuel tank was best. Aluminum, no rust. It had a fuel strainer in it to keep the big things out of the fuel. I used the normal fuel fitting for fuel out, and the fuel return worked just fine also. And its vented.

jimbo913

I have not noticed an issue with storing fuel in plastic drums for the last 5 years. As my application is not permanent, the smaller 15 gallon drums will be easier to deploy after the genset is up and running in emergency and it will extend run time. My bulk storage is still 55 gallon poly drums, which I will use to keep the genset and 15 gal aux tank full.

For vent I may use pvc pluming with a down elbow and add a plastic valve to close for storage. Have not had any problem with barrel expansion or moisture in the poly drums I have been using for years. Lowest price I found so far on 15 gallon poly barrel with dual 2" bungs is $54 shipped

Last edited:

Chrispyny

Because of limited space and difficulty moving large fuel containers, I have used smaller (16 Gal.) metal drums. My understanding is that long term storage of diesel fuel is best accomplished in full metal containers to mitigate chemicals leaching from the container and to lessen moisture accumulation.
FYI : Note leaking at base of drum...stopped with JB weld applied to drum lower crimped seal.Because of limited space and difficulty moving large fuel containers, I have used smaller (16 Gal.) metal drums. These drums were about $25 at a local petrol oil supplier.
View attachment 602693
A brand new drum, leaking at the crimp seal? Thats crazy. I'd be balistic. They have lines d drums for sale on amazon that have a coating on the inside. I'd be a buyer for one of those if i were inclined.

RIrvin

Agree. The "weeping" was unexpected. Supplier gave me a second new 16 gal drum which also "weeped" at the bottom factory seal. Must have something to do with the product the supplier was placing in drums(grease).

Important info here is that the solution was turn full drum upside down ,clean seam to bare metal,wipe with alcohol, apply JB weld and touch up paint. No more weeps.

Korgoth1

I just find whatever is cheapest on craigslist, I have 6 or 7 of those 250gal fuel oil tanks. People are getting rid of them all the time here, I have cut them in half for watering troughs for the calves too. I also have used those chemical totes, they are very nice for moving water/whatever around as a skidsteer can load it in the truck, they have a valve on the bottom so you can empty it without hauling the pump around...

I have not had problems from condensation in my climate, I tilt the tanks toward the drain valve when I crib them up, and can check for water periodically just in case though..If I find one has rusted alittle, I cycle it out and either scrap it or trough it, find another cheap on clist..

Korgoth1

For anyone concerned about moisture on a vented tank or a tank that isn't completely full, give a search for "desiccant fuel breathers". That will give you some idea to purchase or build your own.

Edit:
I'm going to be building a few for my storage system from some compressed air filter housings and a pack of silica gel.
Lowes has inline air dryers originally for painting in the air compressor section, would be easy to plump in.

Blackbear

Jumbo, in my humble opinion the first response is the best idea, the 6-7 gallon plastic tanks are easy to handle and the nozzle works well, no leaks little vent. You may need to back up from the bulk tank idea for just a minute. Since you already have power and it's only for outage purposes, the smaller tanks are easy, ask yourself why you would need the huge tanks, what's the normal outage time, remember nothing worse than trying to get rid of a bulk tank full of bad fuel.

Bucho

I would second the notion of not using plastic tanks for long term fuel storage. Key word being long term, which I guess could be up for debate.
All fuel tanks that are used for storage above ground are metal, and tested. If is talk to any bulk supplier, they will tell you for the best results, store in metal, out of direct sunlight.
Plastic tanks are intended for the purpose of only being temporary.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks