• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Time to get some issues under control

Hello everyone I have been very quiet for a long time now I have just been busy with life as we all are and have forgotten about SS. But I am going to try and be on here alot more often because it's time to get some of the issues with truck under control and fixed.

Short recap of what I've been doing
Started a new job about 6 months ago in a diesel repair shop. I have been a roadside mechanic for about 4 years and it finally caught up to me, body was aching too much due to being on call 24/7 and also had close to no time to work on my deuce except for doing PMs. I'm now happier at the new job, making more money and have more time since I now work a steady schedule. Ok. On to the truck

I've had the deuce for almost 3 years. Mid November will be the anniversary. I bought the truck with 3,000mi it now has a little over 20,000.

Things that have happened are;
The generator was rebuilt 2 years ago because the pulley was squealing and wasn't charging too well. Now charges around 26-28v

Took the truck offroading at a one time event where a local motocross track let us take our vehicles on the track. 3rd gear in low range over a table top was very cool. Got home and all the radiator mounts were broken so I cleaned and re brazed them.

About a year ago one of the fan blades flew off at 50mph and went through the radiator. Truck was down for 2 days fixed the radiator for $100 and put on a new fan from Eastern for $20.

Last December the fuel pump in the tank went. Finally thought I found one brand new for $325 on eBay. The seller listed it as a new pump for a M35a2. Pump came and the mount looked VERRRRY different. BUT the actual pump was exactly the same. A Tokheim model 558. Cool. So I used my old mount with the new pump and had to cut the new and old wires and solder them. Made the connection very watertight because it sits in the fuel. Just for curiosity I googled the MSN of the new pump and it was for a M109 Field Howitzer. Well, at least I know I got a high quality pump.

So now, here we are and I have a major issue and bunch of minor ones. The major issue is that the truck is leaving to the right rear. Just now I checked the frame with a straightedge from front to rear, all good both rails. Every crossmember is straight. No loose bolts or rivets. Then I checked both rear springs. Not one leaf is broken BUT the right side leafs are sagging about 1-2 inches. The right leaf is flat all the way across. Checked every torque rod and all bushings move and go back to resting position no visible problems. The left 4 are at a slight upward angle comparable to the floor. The right 2 rods are parallel to the floor. There is a visible difference in ride height from left to right. I cannot for the life of me figure out what is broken. Something that may help, upon purchasing the truck, I was told where it was built and stored until 1987 then it was moved to a base in upstate New York and thats where it was sold to me in November 2016. I contacted the army Depot where the truck was built and stored and got through to the moon pool, they had records on equipment for the past 60 years. So after an hour on the phone they found notes on my truck and told me that it was supposed to go to a Marine Corps unit in Vietnam but a tree fell on the truck and the order was cancelled and the truck sat dormant till 1987 when they replaced the hardtop with a soft top.

Sorry for the long post but I had alot to say. But yeah that's my issue and hopefully the info about the tree helps. The tree landed on the right side of the bed between the wheels but everything seems straight?? I'm asking for help because I can't go and replace everything. Thanks in advance. About to grease the truck.

Oh, one more thing, I noticed that the trunnion bar is welded solid, when I see trucks at work the bar is loose and has some play. Is this normal? Thanks

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow...supposed to go to 'nam and instead being forgotten in a warehouse for at least 15 years!

If the frame is straight and the axle tubes are, too (I suppose), I would consider getting the spring packs redone. A competent shop can set them up as you need, with fresh U-bolts. You are in the trade, so probably know where to go. A sag of an inch can be springs only, if nothing else is bent out of shape.

Trunnion...well, it is a solid steel bar going into a bearing/bushing (depends) on either side. So...should not be loose but servicing the trunnion with the rear frame end jacked up and no weight on the axles (again, who am I talking to? You know all this...) should be done to make sure bearings are ok. Mod the trunnion cover with a grease zerk to allow for easier greasing then the stock setup.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you need a few spring leafs, I have the rears surplus from my 4x4 project. I know taking the spring packs off is a PITA and you will probably have to cut the bolts to get them off, but you could take the packs apart (both sides) and compare the springs, then replace the leafs that are bent. Spring packs are not as hard as one might think but given the age, every bolt will have to be torched and the piece left in the trunion extracted, then replaced with new bolts. Note that in addition to the U-bolts, there is a clamp bolt (2) (head) on the frame side (of the trunion) that locks down the bottom two leafs.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks