• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Timing a new pump?

I've got a new injection pump installed. Once I test the injectors and get it running and warmed up, to time it, do I
advance the timing until it rattles a bit much, back it a mm and try it?
Am I trying for no gray smoke and low egts or is that to much to hope for?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only correct way to time it is with a timing light.

You can simply set it on the marks, and guess you are close enough if you do not have the proper tools.

Chaski

It will run with the timing marks aligned. But I am about 95% sure that somewhere in the GM diesel supplement there is some sort of chart with suggested advance in millimeters on the marks. If you don't run some advance it will be hard to start in the cold and will smoke. When I get some time to dig around I will post it if I find it.

Update...

Found it.

The pump mark should be offset to the drivers side. If you download "The 6.2 Liter diesel engine" GM training manual 16015.05-1C there is a nice illustration (4-166) on page 4-99 that shows that the correct adjustment range is an offset of 2.5-4mm (Update.... might be too much, refer to the manual)toward the drivers side (exact offset depends on your pump model). Get out a 15mm wrench and move your pump to where it is offset 2.5mm (update... MIght be too much advance!)Give that a try and see how you like it

2nd update...
i just read the manual again, and it is more ambiguous than I thought. Looks like the part I read might not apply due to year of manufacture. So take some time to read the manual for yourself. Sorry about the bad info.

IMG_3260.JPGIMG_3259.JPGIMG_3261.JPG

Last edited:
Thank you. I don't have a timing pointer on it, so I've got to use the hand, eye, ear method. I've got a modded pump for a higher output too. Plus the hx40w2 turbo. I'll try it and see what happens.
Its a 4911 db2 with a fresh timing gears and chain.

Last edited:

Barrman

There is also the advance arm method:

Warm up the engine. Use a screwdriver to push the rod on the bottom passenger side of the pump in. If the engine dies, too far retarded. If the engine misses a bit, but doesn't die then pretty close to right on. If nothing changes except maybe a slight sound difference, then too far advanced.

5 good injectors, one bad nozzle, one at 1200 psi and one at 3k psi. I went ahead and ordered a full set. I'll do some mix and match and get a good used set put together from my parts injectors and sell them later. Another couple days down.