• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Timing Chain or Gears?

motormayhem

The 6.2 has a timing chain not gears right? Also what is the service interval for these? My truck just hit 56,000 and is running strong.

4bogginchevys

chain is good replacement, cheap and will last a long time

a good gearset will cost tons more( please do not use cheap free floating gears) but is far superior when controlling timing.

It's your choice, but I would do it when the water pump goes bad.

Last edited:

motormayhem

Ok, thanks for the info. I always thought they had gears, but I read tonight they had chains and that got me wondering how long before mine breaks and I need to rebuild the motor, but if 56,000 is early I am certainly not doing it before the water pump.

12vctd

they have a chain as stated before but they are known for being weak, thou 56k miles is low. the chain has a tendandcy to stretch affecting the timing of the motor and injection pump. I personally would not worry about the chain, but when you do replace I would go with DSG gear replacement they are very strong and really improve things.

Heres a link
DSG DUAL IDLER GEAR DRIVE & PHASER KIT

4bogginchevys

WOW 400-550 for a timing set with those idler gears...thier free floating!! I do not agree to use free floating style gears, i've seen what happens on performance small/ big block chevys when they get to "floating around". I cant think of the maker right now...sorry...but someone makes a gear set that the timing "idlers" are in the cover, yes attached internally to the cover, that's what I would use with 22:1 compression when a factory "weak" chain is a common issue...and I might even use a cam button if option is availible. I do however realize that the chains and even free floating gears can work for many, many, miles. I just cant install parts that I have seen fail.:razz:

91W350

I do think think the compression ratio has a thing to do with chain wear, heavy valve springs would. I do not know what the specs for the 6.2 valve springs are, but they should be mild as about any small or big block will easily reach 5000 rpm on stock springs and these are governed well below that.

Back in the late 60's GM went to a nylon covered aluminum gear to keep the chain noise down. Those were famous for puking anywhere between 50,000 and 100,000 miles. Usually at a higher than desireable rpm with significant valve damage and sometimes they would destroy pistons as well.

They did not take long to recover and go to a heavier duty chain and gears on high performance and/or heavy duty application engines.

Does the diesel pump take a lot more power to drive than a distributor? That would be an added load. Glen

12vctd

Yes a injection pump requires more load to drive than a distributor. And for the DSG kit its a option. I personally know many motors running them without any problems. I dont know what the gassers are doing but to get those gears floating in thier design, you would have to have alot of flex in your block/cam/and crank to get the gears to spit out. We are talking about a 6.2 diesel not a 7000rpm performance gas motor. there are many older large diesel motors that have a idler system. But for other options there are the pete Jackson gear drive I forgot all about thier set up( and they are cheaper and honestly look to be the exact same set up). I personally don't like chains, but then again im also not very fond of the 6.2 either. To each thier own. Just giving a few suggestions.

acesneights1

Damn those DSG guys are off thier meds, 1400$ for a DB2 plus 1000$ core charge. Gimme some of what they are smokin.