• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tiny Tach installed

Finally got around to installing the Tiny Tach in my 1028 today. It's a pretty neat Doo-hickey. I took it on the highway and am turning 2200 RPMs at 55mph (gps verified) and 2450 at 70mph (gps verified). Install time took about 30 min. I used 3M double sided sticky tape to mount the display unit. I routed the wires through the firewall at the speedo cable grommet and followed the instructions from there.

Attachments

Last edited:
Sweet! Looks good. Might be a tad bit hard to see when your going down the road though.
I mounted it slightly angled upwards. IMO it's in a good spot. I can see it just fine when I glance down to see my speed. I used a couple of layers of the adhesive tape on the bottom to adjust the viewing angle and only one piece of tape on the top of it to give it that upward angle. :grd:

Blue2actual,

I do like what you did. However, I like the location as show in POST #22 & #30 in this thread:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/62765-tiny-tach.html
yea that's a good location, BUT that's where I have my boost and pyrometer gauges. I have no room to flush mount the tiny tach because I have a full gauge set. I just went with a semi permanent spot that can be easily moved.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I HATE YOU. A freakin turbo... not really, just envious..[thumbzup]

But you have an EXCELLENT reason for mounting your tach where you did ...

how is your MPG? as long as you keep your foot out of it, I know, I know...

is it a BANKS? Had a civy 88 Sub with one in it. Worked great, right up until it puked the rear main seal... sigh and left me with my parents, my grandmother and my mother in law about a quarter mile walk to the nearest light so we could call a cab. Ended up selling it as it was. Back in 1996.

I HATE YOU. A freakin turbo... not really, just envious..[thumbzup]

But you have an EXCELLENT reason for mounting your tach where you did ...

how is your MPG? as long as you keep your foot out of it, I know, I know...

is it a BANKS? Had a civy 88 Sub with one in it. Worked great, right up until it puked the rear main seal... sigh and left me with my parents, my grandmother and my mother in law about a quarter mile walk to the nearest light so we could call a cab. Ended up selling it as it was. Back in 1996.
Wallew,

My 6.5 was custom built from the block up. The P.O said something about a star or a diamond on the casting meant that it was a good block and used that for the build. It has what looks like a diamond next to the numbers. If I read the casting right, it was made in early 2001. The motor came out of a HMMWV before it was rebuilt. It has a center mount turbo on it that came out of the HMMWV. Not sure of the brand? I know it's not a banks.

Even with the 4L80E tranny, I'm only getting 16-16.5 on the highway. The best I ever got was 16.7 on a trip to Atlanta and back (230 miles round trip at 65mph with a few miles of city driving; GPS verified). I have 285-75s on it now wich is about 33 inches. Once I get the HMMWV 37s on there, I might squeek out 17-17.5 as long as I take it easy on the highway. I know I will be hurtin' around town though! I will get a good idea for mpg when it gets driven to Colorado in June. With 37's, at 65mph, I should be turning about 22-2250 rpms. :grd:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks