• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tip for starting diesel even though you have total glow plug failure.

acesneights1

Ether works in the CUCV engines, also. Small shots straight in the carb got some GL vehicles that sat a long time with dead batteries running (along with a 24v jump). Not all started without other fussing around the engine, though.
Bad Idea. Good way to snap a crank. At the very least it will cook the glow plugs.I have even seen using it break the starter bolts.
Heat gun in the intake is the best thing to do. I use it on my skid steer a there are no glow plugs on it and no way to heat it as it's air cooled.

Last edited:

strelnik

I have a couple of 6.2L GM diesels in USAF vehicles with broken block heaters (they trip the breakers). It's -30 here and too cold to start, because I have 10W30 dino oil and it's like molasses.

I'm ordering new block heaters for both AND a 300W magnetic heater to stick on the oil pan to make the oil warm and thinner.

I have also sprayed WD-40 then followed it up with a heat gun in the intake, to help start when there's no power around.

My questions:

1. Why not TWO block heaters, one for each bank of 4 cylinders? GM says it takes 8 hours to heat up the coolant from 0-80 degrees. I'm thinking that I might need more, quicker heat.

2. What about an inline (lower rad hose) warmer?

Yes, I know I should use the more winter grade oil, but it had started ok with the the normal dino stuff until this past Monday.

So when it gets just a little warmer, I will install the new block heaters for sure and then I have the other heaters for back-up.

Any and all suggestions welcome ( Plus I'll put a rag and a melon in the back! (Change the melon before hot weather comes!).

Last edited:

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This Is not going to go over very well with the wife when needed, but honey I read It In Steel Soldiers, sure you did, really I did, some guy said you just have to put your hand over that hole while I crank the motor. I see this conversation in my future.
Make sure she covers the right hole if not you or her could wind up with a problem.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Charcoal on a metal garbage can lid(yes, I still have metal garbage cans).

Light it, let it burn down a bit, slide it under.

Wait one hour or until truck ignites.

Carlo

Might not be good for the GM products...but have been using ether shots for my 7.3 Ford diesel duelly for 6yrs after the glow plugs started acting up. Did this in -10 degree weather a week ago....started right up. May get some flack from others...but it works for me....especially by myself....LOL....
Nice 432!

Stagg

I've had TWO M998s in the Army where the glowplugs failed for one reason or another. One of them is the truck currently assigned to me! Been that way all summer. The other was years ago. I've been blocking the exhaust to get them started. It just seemed like a smart thing to do if you understand engines/deisels. Soldier B, gets a piece of cardboard, and holds it over the exhaust, while soldier A cranks the engine. Taking a break, every 20-ish seconds and then turning over some more. Takes longer then anybody is willing to wait while cranking but it does work. Yesterday it was 4 degrees out, and I got it running!

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Charcoal on a metal garbage can lid(yes, I still have metal garbage cans).

Light it, let it burn down a bit, slide it under.

Wait one hour or until truck ignites.
I had to do a double take there. You want to re-word that, DH? :wink:

61sleepercab

I started a 1980's VW diesel at about 0 degrees put charcoal in metal dish pan, light it and let flame die down. Slide pan under oil pan and block off wheel wells with card board and crack open car hood. Cracked open car hood acted like stove pipe and heated engine compartment. She took off after a while.

I learned to use block heater plugged into appliance (light) timer timed to come on at 3:00am and would start well at 8:00am. I unpluged car when I got in to prevent burnout of block heater from swirled bubbles in antifreeze.

ballencd

I used to use a Coleman stove on low for a few hours under a cold Chevy 350 when the temps got down to single digits and it worked every time. Also pulled the battery and brought it inside over night too which seemed to help.

Kaiser67M715

Thanks for the post.

I used a small squirt of starting fluid (its said safe for diesels) and I could hear the predetanation. I won't be doing that again.
That fluid is is only safe for diesels with NO glow system- either plugs or heated intake.

It makes a lot of dead engines when people use it, even if the glow system is faulty, or "doesn't work"

I put it in the same category as leak seal stuff, a bandaid that will cause an infection

CUCVLOVER

That fluid is is only safe for diesels with NO glow system- either plugs or heated intake.

It makes a lot of dead engines when people use it, even if the glow system is faulty, or "doesn't work"

I put it in the same category as leak seal stuff, a bandaid that will cause an infection
I have no want to spray the engine again.
I don't want to blow a hold in any pistons.

Flingarrows

Not a diesel, but had to build a blanket tent over the from end of a truck, and run a torpedo heater for 30 minutes to start a temperamental truck in cold weather. I tried the hear drier on the intake - no dice

There is nothing worse than leaving for work, and the engine will crank but not fire

alpine44

There is an arctic kit available that uses a small diesel-fired boiler to heat the coolant. Webasto and Eberspacher make similar, but more high tech, units for this purpose. They work like an electric in-line coolant heater, except you do not need a 110 Volt outlet. Most MVs have plenty of space under the hood to fit these pre-heaters.

Sardot1

a rag to plug it maybe? I have never heard of this before.
It worked!!! :cool:

One of my trucks quit on me six months ago...after I noticed it getting a bit harder to start when cold, it completely gave up. Fortunately it happened at home. I haven't had the time to deal with it, and I have the second truck for transportation, so there it has sat. I've kept the batteries charged, and tried to start it probably monthly with no luck.

Today my second truck suffered the same fate, and I had to leave it at work. I got a ride home and after a bit of searching I found this thread.

I went out and stuffed an old T-shirt in each exhaust pipe of the truck that hasn't run since December. After several attempts to start it, and blowing the shirts out, and thinking this is crazy, I crammed them in tight and gave it a crank and it started!!!! It still blew the shirts out, and then it blew a lot of black smoke, but the engine was purring like music to my ears. I took it for a drive, it blew smoke for about two miles, then cleared up and ran like I remember it. I parked it at my garage, turned it off and then restarted it right away with no problem. Now I can work on it, and at least I've ruled-out some sources of the problem (like fuel system)...likely just needs new plugs or a relay from what I have learned here.

Now I just need to get down to work and try it on my other truck so I can get it home.

Thank you SS. What a cool idea. Another one to add to the Zombie Apocalypse toolbox.

zamball

Sorry to bring this back up, but I wanted to say thank you! I've been having a hard time getting my GC started. This worked! Now I can change the glow plugs in my garage.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks