• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tips for buying 1009?

gunrun45

Ok, this is my first post here. Sorry for what may seem like an overly simple question. I tried to search for the answers to my questins but I couldn't find them all.

I have the oportunity to buy a 1986 1009. It has 39000 miles on it. No body rust or any obvious other damage. All electrical works well, runs well and engine is very clean. It was an old navy truck from the door plate and still has the gun racks in it. It really does look clean. I drove it and power seemed good. It shifted well and the diesel knock went away after I gave it some throtel and it warmed up.

I have never owned a Diesel vehicle before.

Is this a good deal?

I know this might sound like a stupid question for this vehicle but what kind of fuel milage can I expect?

I owned a 1979 K5 Cheyene blazer (bought her new!) untill 2000 when I had to part with it (wife said it had to go) and I have always wanted a diesel truck. Friends had them (civilian varients) and they always got better than the 10mpg I got in my gas powered 350 blazer.

I drive a minimum of about 100 miles a day commuting and laid down a motorcycle about 2 months ago. I already have 170,000+ miles on my 2002 silveraldo and I'm looking for a 4wd commuter.

I know this is a drawn out question but any advice or help is GREATLY apreciated.

narc20

I'm still looking as well but most of the posts I've seen say that they get about 20mpg hwy out of M1009's. Some guys here say larger tires will help with the low gear ratio. Helps to get better hwy speeds. Good luck. The people here have a lot of experience so don't be afraid to ask.

ida34

I get around 17.5 with city driving and around 19.5 on the highway. I get the extra knock until the cold run solenoid goes off then it smooths out. I had been driving an excursion but as soon as I got this road ready I drove it everyday. It is now my everyday vehicle.

gunrun45

Wow!! Two replies in less than 20 minutes of the post!! Thanks a lot guys. This might be my next daily driver. I'm kinda the torture test king. I put 30,000 miles on my motorcycle in the first year I owned it!

Keep the pointers comming!! :D

mangus580

Ida, just so you know, that extra knock is supposed to be there. The timing gets advanced when that cold solenoid is activated. :)

gunrun45

MANGUS: Thanks. I'm going to have a local mechanic with previous experience in large diesel repair go over it on Thursday.

Does anybody think I'm crazy for thinking of this as a comuter?
I drive 100 to 180 miles a day on mostly freeway roads. I live in a very rural area in northern california and comute to work. I think I'm past the crazy stage I was at last year when I was driving my street bike in the rain, snow, hair and floods. Hoping this is better and will get me the milage.

Am I crazy? Should I just look for a used Honda instead? $3500 for a truck with only about 39000 miles on it is almost to hard to pass up though and I miss my old Blazer.

gunrun45

Well, I took it to a mechanic yesterday and I got hte bad news. It need new breaks (totally) all the way around, a new rear axel seal,a new u-joint fo the drive line and a new main seal for the diff at the rear. Of yeah, the driver side rear shock oblonged out its mounting bracket so its just kinda hanging there and the equivelant to the break vacume booster in the gas verison was going out leaking break fluid into the drivers foot well area. A quote on the fix was $1200 from the shop. Everything else was in top notch shape.

Am I getting in over my head here? I'm not as enthused as I was about this truck.

Advice?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks