• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tips on 5 ton M812?

cbvet

Spotted an M812 at a truck lot.
I'm used to my deuce. This thing with the 14:00/20's is BIG!
All I know right now is that it looks good & I was told it "will run down the road".
What should I look for? Any guesses as to value?
Your advice would be appreciated.
Eric

M1075

There have been several M812s offered for sale in Indiana recently. I have seen prices from $3750 to $7500. The bigger tires lead to more road speed. Other than that, it should run the same as any M809.

cbvet

M1075,
Thanks for the info. I should find out today what he's asking for it.
You say it should run the same as an M809, but I'm not familiar with that model either.
Is there anything specific I should watch out for? Any problems that plague this particular model? Pros & cons?
Eric

M1075

Well the M809 is a series of trucks (cargo, dump, wrecker, tractor, bridge truck, etc.). They all have the Cummins NHC-250 and were put in service to replace the older multifuel 5 tons. Since bridge trucks have spent their life backing down into rivers to launch/retrieve bridges and boats, I would be on the look out for rust. Especially, behind/between the double frame chassis. The biggest con of the bridge truck in my opinion is the overall width and that they are extremely heavy (26-28K#). They have a long wheel base (215") wider wheels, wider tires (14.00X20), and longer/heavier spring packs. Powertrain is the same as the M809 series. If you haven't already, I would recommend you download and review the technical manuals posted here in the Resources section. Find the M809 series operator's manual and start there. The manuals are a wealth of information.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks