• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tips on pulling tranny?

MVrookie

Any tips or cautions on dropping the tranny? The second syncro ring back seem imbedded into the gear. my tranny guy says pull the tranny and he'll make it right. The existing threads do not seem to suggest any great problem removing the transmission.
Thanks all!

Trango

I've been told it's easy to roll the windows down, lay a piece of lumber (I'd nail 2 2x4's together into a 4x4) across the tops of the windowsill, and then use a ratchetstrap or a small hand winch off that.

On install, use long 3/8" bolts as temporary pilot studs to guide the tranny into place.

tx399999

Make sure it's in first gear. It pulls in the rod for the sprag gear. If it's in neutral or even worse reverse, it will be a pain to get out and never go back in.
When I pulled mine I ran two 2x4s through the windshield and the back window of the hard top. With a chain hoist and a furniture dolly underneath it is almost a one man job.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use the above tip of a 4x4 or 2-2x4s thru the open windshield and a chain hoist. And putting it in 1st gear.

I can have one out is 30-45 minutes. The longest time is removing the bolts holding down the sheetmetal :-D

Trango

I've been told it's easy to roll the windows down, lay a piece of lumber (I'd nail 2 2x4's together into a 4x4) across the tops of the windowsill, and then use a ratchetstrap or a small hand winch off that.

On install, use long 3/8" bolts as temporary pilot studs to guide the tranny into place.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Yes that is very possible but you might need the doors open when you work on the truck.

One thing that makes this job easier is to remove the passenger seat. It allows much more room to work.

saddamsnightmare

January 11th, 2010.

Will Wagner has experience with this one, he puts the girder from side door window sill to side door window sill and brings it up, through the cab, so I'm told. Apparently in any case its a lot easier then some newer trucks and cars.... just big and bulky.

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

mckeeranger

I haven't done it yet, but I was going to take out the passenger seat, the floor sheet metal, and then roll a hydraulic engine hoist through the passenger side door. Then set it down onto a dolly.

MVrookie

The reason I'm pulling the tranny out, is the thing is stuck in neutral with a jamed syncro.
I cannot put the tranny in 1st gear. will it make a difference?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The hoist works. The 4x4 from the back of the cab out the windshield works. When you sling your hoist on the wood, put it through a piece of pipe so you can roll it back and forth. If it's stuck in N, pull the cover off.

G-Force

Any tips or cautions on dropping the tranny? The second syncro ring back seem imbedded into the gear. my tranny guy says pull the tranny and he'll make it right. The existing threads do not seem to suggest any great problem removing the transmission.
Thanks all!

The most important thing you need to remember is

"DON'T DROP IT"!!!!!!!

IMA944T

So why is it hard to pull trans with it in gear?? Does it not have a input shaft that comes out of clutch like a normal car trans? Slip out and slip back in?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are just so many bolts in the covers is the problem. Time consuming.......

The sprag shaft (not hooked up on the airshift trucks) hits the cross member and makes the input shaft alignment harder if the tranny isn't in 1st gear. Do able in neutral but easier in 1st.