• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire advice?

SixBuy

All this discussion about wheels and tires has got me wondering about the quality of my tires. Looking at the "DOT" nomenclature, it appears these 9.00x20 NDCC tires were class A3 (bead-to-bead) retreads in 2/90. I'm currently replacing tubes and flaps after one blew sitting in the driveway! The local tire expert says "If the recaps were fifteen years old then the carcass may be twenty!" The tires LOOK like brand new with the mold "tits" still on them. But I wonder what is going to happen after a few hours on the highway... Anybody got any opinions? Experience? Should I put new on the front and take my chances on the rears? How does a deuce handle with a front blowout at highway speeds?
Guess i'm just a quart low on things to worry about...

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I don't think a blowout on the front would be very pleasant.

Wick246

Unfortunately I ran across an article about a fire fighter here in Utah that was killed while driving an M35 because of a front tire blowout, I think the truck rolled.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
These trucks have no roll over protection what so ever. Its always in the back of my mind when driving at highway speeds. I would'nt take any chances with the old tires on the front, the rears shouldnt be a problem especially if you have duals.

SixBuy

Sounds like good advice. Guess I just needed to hear it from others to reinforce the gut feeling! Having wandered extensively in SE Utah I can see where there are plenty of places where there is no margin for error. But it is still sad to hear about.
So I guess the word is inspect closely for tread separation? Is that where most old-tire failures occur? If somebody hasn't already done it, that would be a good MV tech article.

Desert Rat

SB,

Always use virgin rubber on the front that's less than 10 years old to avoid blow-outs. Check the DOT date imprinted on the side of the tire (week of year/year). This information will tell you if the rubber compound inside the tire has had enough time to start dry-rotting or not. The rule of thumb is if it's older than ten years put her to the rear.

Warren Lovell

Why use recaps at all? Tires aren't that expensive. And if you are driving a deuce and can afford a 10mpg vehicle, put some new tires on it and enjoy the ride...i think it would be a bummer to have the retread issue in your mind while enjoying your drives.

Warren

JohnnyReb

Don't want to start a flame war; but I don't have any problems with retread on the rear. Most over the road rigs run retreads. These tires got a bad reputation back when it was deserved, but new techniques have made them very dependable. IMHO.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
Desert Rat said:
SB,

Always use virgin rubber on the front that's less than 10 years old to avoid blow-outs. Check the DOT date imprinted on the side of the tire (week of year/year). This information will tell you if the rubber compound inside the tire has had enough time to start dry-rotting or not. The rule of thumb is if it's older than ten years put her to the rear.
:) So my BFG from 1952 may be unsafe? :wink:

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please don't let a DPS trooper catch you in TEXAS with recaps on the steer axle! After you get out of JAIL it may take Rick Perry to get your truck back!

SixBuy

Heard that! After yesterday's posts I checked the fronts. They're not recaps but they are fifteen years old. I think DR's got it right - it's time to RETIRE! So I'll find a couple of extra wheels and mount new stuff and keep the old fronts for spare spares...
Re"the DPS..." - wonder what the legal aspects of that are since it's under 26,000 GVW and a 'former military vehicle' with no inspection required.

Now you got me wondering about my tires. A guy I talked to about the Deuce in his first 5 minutes said if you get a front blowout it will sound like a stick of dynamite followed by the truck leaving the road in the direction of the blowout. :shock:
The reason he told me this was to make sure that whenever driving the truck to have both my hands on the wheel at 10 & 2 position.

So that being said, wasn't there a thread awhile ago that told how to read the date on the tires?
Any help on that? :?

Good reminder here to take a look.

Thanks

ktm380

I was going very slow (5 mph)when my front driver side blew. I've never heard dynamite go off but I would say it was the loudest none black powder item I've every heard!!! And yes I think about it at highway speeds!!!!

SixBuy

Must have been coasting downhill with the engine off if you heard a tire blow!!! LOL So how did it fail? Did the tube pop internally or did a piece of the tire casing give way? Inquiring minds...
My outboard Rear Left Rear (complicated, isn't it?) tube gave way in the driveway whilst I was about 4 ft from it - time for new undies...
I've been quoted about $180/ea. for new, virgin NDCC from the tire co. Anybody seen better deals on tires/tubes/flaps?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks