• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire age and cracks - Still safe or replace?

ohsmily

The 14.00r20 Michelin XZL tires on my M923A2 are about 15 years old. They have 80+% tread. However, there are a number of small cracks in the side wall, presumably due to age, UV, etc. Are these tires safe to run or do they need to be replaced? (Note: The photos below are highly zoomed as you can see from the comparison to the text on the tire).

Screenshot_20210504-131348_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210504-131412_Gallery.jpg

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cracks progress at a faster rate if mud is not cleaned off, especially in the early stages.

I'm using waste synthetic oil on mine to help keep the rubber hydrated. Seems to help.

I had a set of GY AT2 that had become egg shap too...still had great treadbut suffered the CTIS disease.

ohsmily

Do you crawl around mostly below 35mph? Or do you habitually drive at highway speeds?

The answer to the above would heavily influence my decision as to whether to replace.
I am often at highway speeds which I suspect will dictate that you recommend replacement....I guess I am going to get some new tires.

What type of business would have the equipment to put new tires on my rims AND have the expertise not to F up the CTIS system? Is dealing with the CTIS pretty simple?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd change to 395's or 16.00's if replacing all 6. Any tire shop should be able to do it. If you have difficulty finding a shop that's willing, try the places that do heavy equipment or tractors.

ohsmily

I'd change to 395's or 16.00's if replacing all 6. Any tire shop should be able to do it. If you have difficulty finding a shop that's willing, try the places that do heavy equipment or tractors.
What is the rationale for changing to those sizes? Do they fit without clearance issues on the M923A2? Can I use the same wheels that I have? Thank you.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the rationale for changing to those sizes? Do they fit without clearance issues on the M923A2? Can I use the same wheels that I have? Thank you.
395s would be my choice if you don't want to change wheels . They're just a bit shorter than the 14.00s you currently have. No clearance issues.

The primary reason to get away from the 14.00s is cost and future availability. The military is still using 395's and 16.00's so there will be a future source of newer surplus tires in these sizes. The 14.00s are no longer in use and so the choice is rapidly becoming "do I pay $1600 per tire for new production 14.00 XZLs, or do I buy much older surplus tires that may catastrophically fail?"

jasonjc

I work for a school and we have about 30 buses and I see Michelins cracking way more than other brans. We have been buying new Yokohama for drives and Continental for steers. This is a lot to do with state contract pricing but also that they hold up and wear the best. We try to get them recapped a few times also.

ohsmily

Ok, so I'm going to buy 7 tires (6 plus spare). I have seen a couple threads about the 16.00r20 having clearance/fit problems on the 5 ton . If I'm not transporting heavy loads (i.e. not causing suspension to sag down) will they fit without modification? I'll try to find some threads on the subject but feedback here is appreciated. My understanding is the 16.00 can go on the same wheels.

EDITED TO ADD: Is there an advantage to running HEMTT rims on the fronts (or all positions? I read something about that but didnt understand it.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yes they can go on the same wheels you loose some turning radius. You can turn your wheel stops in to prevent any rubbing on the steering cylinder cover.

We have remold 1600s in XZL that come with a warranty on the casing

Michelins all crack like that. I've even seen new 1600s do it brand new and taken off a wheel and the whole bead area was just lined with them on a 2yr old tire. However thus has only been a noticeable issue on Michelins made in a Canada not the ones made in France

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, so I'm going to buy 7 tires (6 plus spare). I have seen a couple threads about the 16.00r20 having clearance/fit problems on the 5 ton . If I'm not transporting heavy loads (i.e. not causing suspension to sag down) will they fit without modification? I'll try to find some threads on the subject but feedback here is appreciated. My understanding is the 16.00 can go on the same wheels.

EDITED TO ADD: Is there an advantage to running HEMTT rims on the fronts (or all positions? I read something about that but didnt understand it.
Unless you articulate the suspension pretty severely, 16.00s won't contact the bed no matter how heavily you load it. Off road with the suspension all twisted up and they'll contact even with the bed empty. On road, you can load the truck as heavily as you like and you can't make them touch.

You can alter the bump stops to limit articulation to keep them from ever hitting the bed, or put a spacer between the bed and the frame. (FWIW, your 14.00s will also hit the bed under the right conditions. It takes a lot.)

Steering travel adjustments or hemtt rims are required to prevent tire rub with 16.00s on the left front. My preference is hemtt rims all around.

I have not seen CTIS retained while using hemtt rims, but it should not be terribly difficult to do.

I have 16.00s and HEMTT rims on my M925 pictured. I like them a lot and they're my first choice for this truck and the way I use it.

Attachments

ohsmily

Unless you articulate the suspension pretty severely, 16.00s won't contact the bed no matter how heavily you load it. Off road with the suspension all twisted up and they'll contact even with the bed empty. On road, you can load the truck as heavily as you like and you can't make them touch.

You can alter the bump stops to limit articulation to keep them from ever hitting the bed, or put a spacer between the bed and the frame. (FWIW, your 14.00s will also hit the bed under the right conditions. It takes a lot.)

Steering travel adjustments or hemtt rims are required to prevent tire rub with 16.00s on the left front. My preference is hemtt rims all around.

I have not seen CTIS retained while using hemtt rims, but it should not be terribly difficult to do.

I have 16.00s and HEMTT rims on my M925 pictured. I like them a lot and they're my first choice for this truck and the way I use it.
What is it about the HEMTT rims that mitigate the tire rubbing issue on the front wheel without steering travel adjustments?

Your truck looks great, BTW.

Steve92307

I would go with the 395s. They worked out great on my truck!! You can get the 5ton combat rims from a guy in San Diego for about 120 bucks each and Simp5782 probably has valve stems you can buy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks