• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire Balancing Beads

abfisher1798

My MTVR sat in Yermo for God knows how long on flat tires. They’re holding air just fine, but are annoyingly out of balance. A couple even have minor rot showing on the sidewall, the part that used to be flat in the dirt.
It’s a shame because the treads are in great shape. I think it’ll be fine to run them until they fail.
In the meantime, has anyone with a similar issue tried using ceramic tire balancing beads for mitigation? I’ve seen them used a lot for new installs. I wonder if they could help with older tires.
Thanks!

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Some folks have reported success with them, I myself run 50/50 antifreeze in my tires. Before I get blasted by nay-sayers preaching that it will not work with the CTIS in our trucks, I have over 3,000 miles so far with it frequently deflating and reinflating going offroad and back on road. I have checked my bearings and oil repeatedly, as well as wheel-valve corrosion and so far, no negative effects besides when at highway speed when the tires get hot and purge some air it will purge some of the coolant from the tire and through the vent stack located on the rear step deck behind the cab. A slight mist, but that’s after long drives on hot roads usually.

Otherwise, my tires run cooler now, and the hobble-wobble is noticeably better using a vibration meter to measure it.

*Edit: my reference to nay-sayers is in conjunction to where I initially read the thread by NelsonStudios

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have used the balancing beads in a lot motorcycle tires. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. I do not know why. The beads are expensive and you would need a lot for each tire, maybe $100 worth. Also, the beads do create dust inside the tires as they eat away the inside.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

abfisher1798

Some folks have reported success with them, I myself run 50/50 antifreeze in my tires. Before I get blasted by nay-sayers preaching that it will not work with the CTIS in our trucks, I have over 3,000 miles so far with it frequently deflating and reinflating going offroad and back on road. I have checked my bearings and oil repeatedly, as well as wheel-valve corrosion and so far, no negative effects besides when at highway speed when the tires get hot and purge some air it will purge some of the coolant from the tire and through the vent stack located on the rear step deck behind the cab. A slight mist, but that’s after long drives on hot roads usually.

Otherwise, my tires run cooler now, and the hobble-wobble is noticeably better using a vibration meter to measure it.

*Edit: my reference to nay-sayers is in conjunction to where I initially read the thread by NelsonStudios

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How much antifreeze do you run in your tires?

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
A cubic foot of 50/50 or plain drinkin water is still 64 pounds.
This is a very old tractor tire remedy.
Helps to add weight and those tires have tubes inside.

What is your plan?

Anywho a 50/50 mix of drinkin warter and "normal" antifreeze is the best
one can do to stop mixture from feezing, no matter the temperature.

abfisher1798

We run all our tractors with straight water in the tires to increase the weight. I never considered how that could improve balance, though they typically don’t exceed 30mph on the road.
We don’t use antifreeze since freezing is not an issue here. I’m thinking I could do the same with the MTVR.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks