• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire carrier

bucksnort59

I'm thinking of building a tire carrier that mounts to the side of the M101A1 and A2,A3
Any interest in something that'd go for under $100?

Firejareen

I might be interested. It would have to be stout though, supporting a 37" tire for an A3 would be pretty heavy. If you can get a tester model fabbed up and a pic taken, I am sure there would be more people that would chime in.

Scarecrow1

Most of the A1's came with the tire mounted on the inside of the trailer on the right front. It was a simple set up it consisted of a large wing nut and it screwed the tire via a round center plate to the side with a J bolt. It would cost under 25 dollars to duplicate the set up with simplicity being the key.

FrankUSMC

Scarecrow, do you have a picture of this set up? Not saying was not done, but I have never seen it, I have owned several M101s (A1s,A2s, and A3s) and I saw my share of M101s while I was in the Marines. I have seen the trailers with the M37 spare tire carrier mounted on them, on the inside of the box and on the outside of the box. The ones I saw with the M37 mount on the out of the box were mounted above the trailer tongue so it would support the weight of the tire. Again, to not take this wrong, I have just never seen a mount on a M101A1 like the one you described. One of the few, Frank USMC RET

3dAngus

Most do it yourselfers, just weld a lug bolt to the cargo bed above the Aframe, and use the lug nut to hold it down.
Tire weight sits on the Aframe ajoining the cargo bed. The lug bolt and nut are just to secure it upright, not to support the weight.
This way, it does not obstruct your side vision and it make the best possible use of components at hand. Any fuel can holder on the aframe need be removed.
The down side is, the tongue weight goes up substantially, in an unloaded trailer. A front landing and leveling leg is a must at that point to save the ole back.
My M101A1 Trailer did essentially the same Lug bolt weld job on the inside near the wheel well. A 4"X4" plate was made to put the lug bolt on and then it was bolted on the side panels.

About $4.50 and labor.
The side mount would be premo though. Handicap is getting the tire off safely while on the road. Don't recommend it for the A3 HMMWV tire. The lift might be to much for most folks.

Don't let this discourage. I might be a buyer in a better mousetrap and often do. Please keep us informed. I love stuff like this.

Last edited:

bucksnort59

A side mount would stick out the side about the width of the tire. If you guys have trouble hitting mailboxes with another foot on the right side let me know when you're out on the highway so I can stay safe at home. Having it on the tongue would work but both my trailers sport a tongue box. I'm 54 and run 35's on my Xterra and can get the tire/rim up chest level on my Xterra rear tire carrier. I thought about a carrier underneath that would pivot down in some kind of cradle but I dislike the idea of having to crawl under in what usually crap for road shoulder or such. Now a 37" is a real stretch for 1 to lift. Would you really be out with a flat and there's nobody to be found to help lift?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used a short ratchet strap, stood it inside the bed next to the wheel wheel and ratcheted it to the side boards going around an upright also. It does not move much & is in the back so the tounge weight is not an issue and easy to pull out. Not much space lost because it is the same width as the tire well and the wheel well serves as a chock. You could probably use another ratchet strap and it would be solid with no movement.

I have an m101a2 with the stock 2857516 chevy wheel.

Last edited:

ChrisABQ07

M101A3 Side Mount

I used the right rear corner of the bed on my 101A3 -- extra reinforcement for lifting and on the passenger's side of the trailer. I added a 1/8" piece of steel sheet inside the bed and outside the bed between the uprights. I bolted all of this together (no welding stuff -- yet) and then drilled through it all for a heavy duty eye bolt. I used a standard Chevy Blazer tire set up to hold it in place. The fender extension and long brace support the tire and keep it from moving around. Part cost was minimal, after the long brace and fender extension...

Now I have to rework the right-side gate to wrap around the tire (probably another hinge.)

Added a hinge in the right-side gate this week. Then picked up 16 9-foot railroad ties for landscaping improvements...

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks