• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire Chain Stowage?

rmgill

So I just got some 1100x20 tire chains for my deuce in preparation for winter. Given that I might need to take them ON and off, I was wondering if anyone had ideas for storage for tire chains on our trucks low down with out having to scramble into the bed repeatedly.

waayfast

My gasser came from the prev. owner with a new set of chains--found them in the undercab storage box on drivers side.Not as handy as hanging from loops welded to the under side of the bed but still "down low" easy to get to but not in sight to clutter the LOOK and they haven't "wandered off" in the middle of the night either.
jim

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yeah, I wanted to get a tractor trailer frame mount bracket for mine, but I was worried about them wondering off. Might have to make a pad lock plate for it.

rmgill

My gasser came from the prev. owner with a new set of chains--found them in the undercab storage box on drivers side.Not as handy as hanging from loops welded to the under side of the bed but still "down low" easy to get to but not in sight to clutter the LOOK and they haven't "wandered off" in the middle of the night either.
jim

Yeah, that spots already taken up with tools.
1/2 socket set + breaker bar.
3/8 socket set
1/4 socket set
Combination wrench set
Large combination wrench set
Air Compressor Wrench
spare headlights
BFS
Funnels
Spray lube
Spray lithium grease
1 gallon of coolant

rmgill

Put em in your garage....you live in Georgia!!!!!
Hahahah. No. Sometimes I drive the deuce up North.

I still have a mental image of a large fire truck driving across one of the viaducts in Atlanta after a particularly nasty ice storm. It comes over the rise and then starts to slide....side ways...down the hill. Towards police cars and other people it was supposedly coming to help.

Besides, they're excellent for adding traction to wheels in mud too.

gunboy1656

I made that up cause I did not want my chocks in the cab, and didn't want to chase them around the bed. So there it is.

What you don't see in these pics is a lip in the back to stop them from trying to go out by the frame, and that pin you see has a hole in it for a lock. The plate goes up high enough that mud, rain etc, will not get in there.

I have been thinking about modifying it and making the other for more storage room.

Stan Leschert

If you live where you might use chains, weld 1 link of chain onto the box. Make it green. Then put a hook about 3 ft away. The link end will then have a padlock. The other end hold the bitter end of the chain. When it's summer, oil them and put them away, unless you want to brag about the snow that you slogged through! Good luck, have fun, and look at how the commercial transport trucks handle this problem!

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks like a winner! I can't see if you have it, but if you build in a 1/4" gap in the bottom joint of the triangle, it will drain nicely and not gather mud and rust!

Rick

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That's slick, gunboy. :beer:

rmgill

I think Gunboy's method is the win. I'll have to make up 4 storage compartments for this. 2 Should take chain's nicely. 2. Should take tire chocks nicely.

I think I'll have to get access to a sheet metal brake so I can fab up some storage boxes to go behind the rear mudflaps as well as a storage box to go under the bed and above my fuel tanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks