• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire chains 16.00r20 need help!!!

usaforce

Dumb question time.....I recently acquired a set of 16.00R20 tire chains. They weigh 89lbs each. I was told by the owner that I could cut them down to fit my 14.00R20 tires on my M923A1. I have searched the web for tire info and and I can't conclude how much length I should cut off of them. Anyone have any idea? Thanks for the help!

You could calculate it using Pi X Diameter, for each tire size, then interpolate the data (due to there being many factors involved, in the fitting of chains, it is probably not just the difference in circumference).
The 16.00-20 should have a diameter of about 53", so the circumference should be 3.14 X 53 = 166". If you do the same for your 14.00s, then you should have an approximate amount to remove.
But I think Jeff's method would end with better results and less headaches.
The third option would be googling tire chains and see if the manufacturer lists any dimensions.

tk748462

Cutting the chains could weaken them, try using bungee cords, the only reason I say that, is because I used them a lot on diesel forklifts in the winter, the chains were made for a new full size tire and more times then not, the fork tire were worn down. We used the bungee cords, made them really tight and used as many as needed, we had no problems. It's fairly inexpensive, easy, and you will not compromise the strength of your chains.2cents

Cutting the chains could weaken them, try using bungee cords, the only reason I say that, is because I used them a lot on diesel forklifts in the winter, the chains were made for a new full size tire and more times then not, the fork tire were worn down. We used the bungee cords, made them really tight and used as many as needed, we had no problems. It's fairly inexpensive, easy, and you will not compromise the strength of your chains.2cents
I don't know how you managed to weaken them, I have cut a lot of chain without that problem.

usaforce

Thanks for all the replies....I thought about wrapping them around my tire but I didn't know how tight or loose they are suppose to be. Thanks again.

162tcat

Why don't you trade them for 14.00R20 tire chains? If I was closer, I'd be in for that. I'm sure there is someone near you that would be interested in a trade.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks