• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire change with bed hoist/crane

TacticalDoc

I'm looking at putting a 1000 lb crane/hoist in the bed of an M923 on both sides to help with 52" tire changes. I want to place them between the 2 rear axles on passenger and driver sides. Since the tires are very heavy I want to use a crane to lift the spare out of the mount behind the cam and line it up with the hub. To lift the tire I'd use either a basket strap or tongs since the rims don't have any holes to thread a chain through and I want to line up the hub. Suggestions? I'm looking at this crane. Pick_Up_Crane.jpg

Last edited:

Captaincarrier

I recently had a crane fab'd and mounted it in side my M109A for loading 'stuff'. Crane is a typical vertical member with a horizontal section and a 1/2 ton chain fall. Swings through the doors and clears the step in to the box. I like the chain fall over the hydraulic, it gives me more control.

jw4x4

A chain fall is a good idea, perhaps a necessity if you are running 14.00's or 16.00's. A standard hoist may not have enough lifting/lowering range to get the spare down to the ground. The chain fall would eliminate this restriction.

TacticalDoc

LOAD CAPACITY

• When Fully Extended: 400lbs
  • When Fully Retracted: 1000lbs
Lifting Range
FULLY EXTENDED

• 1000lb Setting - Minimum: 7 ¾"’
  • 1000lb Setting - Maximum: 76"
Fully Retracted:

• 400lb Setting- Minimum: Ground
  • 400lb Setting -Maximum: 66.5"
CHAIN

• Chain Length: 10.5"

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For tire changes, as in to get the mounted tire/wheel assembly up on the lugs, all you need is a couple of bars and you can get it up on there by yourself. A crane to get it out of the back of the bed is necessary though if you want to do it by yourself.

TacticalDoc

For tire changes, as in to get the mounted tire/wheel assembly up on the lugs, all you need is a couple of bars and you can get it up on there by yourself. A crane to get it out of the back of the bed is necessary though if you want to do it by yourself.
maybe a wheel dolly to get it on the hub

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use a shovel. Always have.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will be pretty tricky working the hoist and lining it up on the hub at the same time with that set-up if your alone.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you might be over thinking it. I think you will find if you just work on getting the tire on and off from the bed of the truck all will work out. Most of the time like said a bar or just useing the Hyd. jack you have the truck jacked up with and leaning the top of the tire in first the rim will ride on the rear hub and guide it on. The front is a little harder but you learn to walk them on when the hub is in just the right hight.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, the shovel method gives you a lot of leverage and the tire/wheel only needs to be lifted a few inches off the ground.
Looking for a good way to handle the spare on my xm757 also, it weighs 205 lb, okay for two people, but I'm usually alone, so...

quickfarms

You need a forklift!

Seriously once the tire is on the ground it is not to hard, the spring brakes will lock the hub, the height can be adjusted by the jack and a shovel or bar us used for leverage

Ford Mechanic

I just did a removable bed hoist for my M35 to assist in removal stowing of the 395 spare tire I have (350-500lbs!) Like every one else has said I just use a big prybar and a 4x4 to set the tire and wheel on the studs. Here's the thread http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?111448-Spare-tire-hoist-project And here's one of the finished pics, still haven't gotten around to a permenant stowed location....

Attachments

Gunner0311

I am thinking of a HEMTT spare tire crane for my 5-Ton, with the abaility to load heavy items and swing them around to lower into the cargo bed.

I am not familiar with the HEMTT though, so does anyone know if that unit would work for my purposes?? Those light weight commercial lifts look way too wimpy to me...

Another Ahab

Yeah, the shovel method gives you a lot of leverage and the tire/wheel only needs to be lifted a few inches off the ground.
Looking for a good way to handle the spare on my xm757 also, it weighs 205 lb, okay for two people, but I'm usually alone, so...
I'm figuring 'the shovel method" means;

-leveraging the tire up on the tip of the shovel, working the fulcrum of the shovel heel, with the handle as the lever.

Have I got that right? Got a picture of that maybe?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks