• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire chirps and shudder in reverse

deepseeman

Good day all,
so i have a new issue with my 84 cucv. when i turn right the right side rear tire chirps. it has never done this before. then yesterday i was reversing in a dirt lot and the whole truck started to shudder. on asphalt it is normal. I recently had my tranny rebuilt, but I cant imagine why that would cause these issues. any ideas or tests that i can do? i did check the fluid in my rear pumpkin and it was fine. appreciate any help given and thank you.

nick3757

The shuddering in reverse in dirt was most likely caused by wheel hop. I've experienced it before with some of my other trucks. It's only a big deal if you keep doing it a lot. I'd just go a little slower in reverse if possible.

The rear tire chirping sounds like the posi didn't release. Maybe check the fluid in the rear and make sure you use the limited slip additive when you change or add fluid to it.

deepseeman

Remember also that you have a limited slip differential. Basically normal behavior on a loose surface.
it chips on the street. like I had mentioned, this behavior just started. As far as the reverse goes, i was barely moving. first time for the shudder issue.

I will replace u joints and fluid this weekend just to rule them out.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Which cucv do you have?

They are not all the same.

deepseeman

so now a bit more to report. I was backing out of a down hill parking spot and i just stopped. no brakes applied. i got nervous really fast and didnt want to force reverse. I squeezed out with what room i had in front of me. could it also be brakes binding?

deepseeman

so i took the pumpkin cover off today and found that one of the shims had disintegrated. i cleaned it all out and took her to the shop. appreciate everybody who helped.