• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire Cradle to Paint Rims (9.00x20s)

Katahdin

This seems to be a good way to hold a tire in place to paint both sides of a rim. The tire won't stand up on its own but you just need to gently lean the rubber with a board against something. Its easy to rotate the tire to get at hard-to-reach areas.

Note, for masking I just brushed on dish soap which washes or wipes off. To lay down the primer I'm using this Harbor Freight detail gun at about 20-25 PSI. Two coats of primer was about 1/2 of the 4oz cup for one 20 inch rim.

Attachments

DeucesWild11

If you don't want to mess with the soap try this.. my way of painting the rim and not the tire.. use some sheet metal or possibly poster board.. position it between the rim and the tire..works great! You can get poster board in the dollar store.. cheap..

Attachments

Last edited:

emr

I purchased the tire rings for painting , they are strips of galvanized steel with like hair pins that slide over works great, but then i just decided I would practice and now just use the gun and no flashing and dont get any on the tire, it works good just use the gun side ways and close no over spray, light on the trigger. If i feel i need to get behind the rim edge i just hold a piece of cardboard like 10 to 12 inchs long with one hand and slide it around, fast works great.

Katahdin

FYI, part of my overspray was angling the gun to get primer to the inner lip of the rim facing the rubber. I can see on DeucesWild's oversized tires that lip is not as exposed, but on the 9.00s there's a good 1/2 centimeter or more of exposed metal there.

DeucesWild11

Oh yeah I see that now.. I have a little too, you can angle the sheet metal a little to get it though. If you use a shorter piece than I did it's even easier. It would be neat to try that soap trick.. I'm sure you'd have to be careful not to get it on the rim though huh?

Kaiserjeeps

I know this will only work with a bare wheel. I made this for a m416 resto. It is a 1K lazy susan under a 16 inch round plywood. The top rollers are 1/2 inch rod through sealed bearings screw clamped to a little angle frame. So it rolls horizontally and vertically. I intended to use it in a bead blasting cabinet, but found it is really handy for painting. You can cover everything in one spray this way.

Attachments

twlinks

If you don't want to mess with the soap try this.. my way of painting the rim and not the tire.. use some sheet metal or possibly poster board.. position it between the rim and the tire..works great! You can get poster board in the dollar store.. cheap..
Yep, find a window or siding guy and buy 10' of aluminum trim coil to cut down and hold on the tire/wheel like the picture shows. Can't get much simpler than that. Also, keep a can of Goof Off handy and it will wipe off any spots of overspray from the tires.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks