• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire debate...

79f250guy

Ok so I finally got to test out my run flats not by choice. I'm trying to decide what tires to go with as I do go to a lot of off road events. Which tire do you all with experience suggest. The Bfg Baja t/a the Goodyear MTR or just the Regular Radial MT?

Carrera911

Ok so I finally got to test out my run flats not by choice. I'm trying to decide what tires to go with as I do go to a lot of off road events. Which tire do you all with experience suggest. The Bfg Baja t/a the Goodyear MTR or just the Regular Radial MT?
The standard MT gets good traction and lasts for a good time while being the cheapest. I haven't seen a MT/R for a 16.5 inch rim but they have the strip down the center for better road wear and slightly less noise. I would guess because of this they have a little less grip in the mud. The Baja is the latest style the military uses but costs more surplus. The standard MT are only 175 or less used surplus. That's pretty hard to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

infidel got me

I had a option of the Baja or the good year mtr. I chose the good year and glad I did, they ride like Michelins. They pull good in the sand ( haven't tried the mud yet as we are in a 6 month drought) but will update if the chance presents itself.. The sidewall on the Baja did not impress me at all (very thin/flimsy) like a passenger tire. If you are doing any serious off-roading, you might want to consider that. I know people with Baja's and like them--- idk-- kinda like the ford vs. chevy thing.....

Sintorion

If I had to buy brand new, BFGs would be my choice. There are a lot of surplus that can be found for much less, but the big concern needs to be age of the tires. For some reason there seems to be an abundance of 07 tires out there which puts them at 10 years old. That is pretty old for a tire.

Carrera911

If I had to buy brand new, BFGs would be my choice. There are a lot of surplus that can be found for much less, but the big concern needs to be age of the tires. For some reason there seems to be an abundance of 07 tires out there which puts them at 10 years old. That is pretty old for a tire.
It is indeed old for a tire but some of mine are from 2008 and look new. Even have some from 2004 on a truck and they look plenty safe. If it were a sports car it would be a concern but not on one of these AWD 160hp beasts. Paul walker died from having 9 year old tires on that Carrera GT but not nearly the same application IMO.

Mario

Whatever you do, check the tire pressure.
I picked up some tires with wheels, all assembled and inflated.
Didn't bother to check the tire pressure.
Now less than a month and 1,000 miles later, my 'new' tire is trashed.

Live and learn I suppose; live and learn.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

someoldmoose

Have you looked into (the horror) off brand ( Nexen, Mastercraft, etc. ) tires ? If you are wanting to stick with surplus for look or "authenticity" that is admirable and I certainly understand. Unless you have an " I won't use anything but . . ." stance, tires are one of the few parts of your vehicle where you have a ton of choices. I LOVE Goodrich, always have, always will but they are owned by Michelin now. There was a time that I wouldn't have owned a Michelin tire if it was given to me. Just saying, decide what you are going to use it for, then do your research is all.

p.s. Are you glad you had run-flats ?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have run LOTS of tires. BFGs have never disappointed. If I have to buy a tire full retail price, thats who I go with.

Interesting that Michelin owns them now, I hadn't heard that.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run Bajas and very happy with them on 24 bolt wheels. I got mine very reasonable. One cool thing I like is the bajas are about an 1 - 11/2 taller than the original goodyear radial even though both claim to be the same size. I like the increased height and top end it gives me a few more clicks :)

someoldmoose

gimpyrobb, found out about the Michelin thing when making my last Goodrich purchase. Mentioned that I wouldn't buy Michelins if they were free and the guy turned a very nice shade of green then shared. Confirmed by the warranty pprwrk. The tires were still awesome so I changed my tune.

Mario, ONLY as long as it takes to get stopped safely. In military use the idea is to get out of harms way. In civvy world that means to get to the shoulder safely, and in as much control as possible.

Last edited:

79f250guy

The standard MT gets good traction and lasts for a good time while being the cheapest. I haven't seen a MT/R for a 16.5 inch rim but they have the strip down the center for better road wear and slightly less noise. I would guess because of this they have a little less grip in the mud. The Baja is the latest style the military uses but costs more surplus. The standard MT are only 175 or less used surplus. That's pretty hard to beat.

Yeah I haven't had much trouble even with the worn standard MT so they're probably great new but are the others better? I know the MT/R your talking about but its a bit different than the military one. Here's pic's of the military tread pattern just for information purposes....

gy_mil_wrang_mtr_pdpcrop.jpg BFGoodrich BAJA Military.JPG gy_wrangler_mt_pdpcrop.jpgGoodyear MT/R BFGoodrich Baja T/A Goodyear Wrangler MT

79f250guy

I had a option of the Baja or the good year mtr. I chose the good year and glad I did, they ride like Michelins. They pull good in the sand ( haven't tried the mud yet as we are in a 6 month drought) but will update if the chance presents itself.. The sidewall on the Baja did not impress me at all (very thin/flimsy) like a passenger tire. If you are doing any serious off-roading, you might want to consider that. I know people with Baja's and like them--- idk-- kinda like the ford vs. chevy thing.....
Thank you for the information on the sidewall. I kind of thought the same thing even on these MT's because I punctured the sidewall and It seamed kinda thin to me. Probably good flex when aired down but how puncture resistant. The MT/R is supposed to have dura wall puncture resistant technology so that a plus for the MT/R also.

79f250guy

Have you looked into (the horror) off brand ( Nexen, Mastercraft, etc. ) tires ? If you are wanting to stick with surplus for look or "authenticity" that is admirable and I certainly understand. Unless you have an " I won't use anything but . . ." stance, tires are one of the few parts of your vehicle where you have a ton of choices. I LOVE Goodrich, always have, always will but they are owned by Michelin now. There was a time that I wouldn't have owned a Michelin tire if it was given to me. Just saying, decide what you are going to use it for, then do your research is all.

p.s. Are you glad you had run-flats ?

I do kinda want to stick to the "authentic" tires. I don't want to mod with different rim sizes and what not I like the military look. Yeah I worked at Sam's club years back and was able to go to an off road driving course put on by Michelin and BFGoodrich they have been affiliated for some time now. Always had decent luck with either. As to the run flat for sure I am glad I had them and will defiantly put them back in my new tires. I played around with removing and installing them and it was not bad at all not like some horrors I've heard maybe because I have the 2 piece rubber inserts. Used my engine hoist to remove them with a short sling and used a big ratchet strap to compress it to put it back in... Luckily I didn't have to really drive any where on them and I don't think I really would as it has just a couple of inches to the rim so it's basically completely flat. Biggest benefit I see to them is the bead lock they provide so as the tires doesn't come off the rim when it's flat . That's well worth it to me.

79f250guy

How long can you run on run flats in civy environment?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Iv'e heard the term 30 at 30 (30 miles at 30mph) But I don' think I would trust that. When it's on the run flat it is basically flat but enough to keep the rim off the ground and keep the bead locked.

79f250guy

I run Bajas and very happy with them on 24 bolt wheels. I got mine very reasonable. One cool thing I like is the bajas are about an 1 - 11/2 taller than the original goodyear radial even though both claim to be the same size. I like the increased height and top end it gives me a few more clicks :)
THank you good to know on the height.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To further complicate things for you the Goodyear mt/r and baja's come in D & E load range. D for the even spaced 24 bolt rim and E for the newest heavy variants with the 24 bolt staggered bolt pattern.

Goodyear mt/r sidewall does feel stiffer and that is why I went with the BFG for a better ride and my off road is on dirt roads/fields. YMMV

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks