• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tire inspection, and a note from the depot....

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spent some hours going over my deuce this weekend, making sure fluid levels were topped and that everything is in order for the big trip next week in the East Coast Convoy, and the trip up and back from Aberdeen. During the inspection, I checked tire pressures, all varied between 25psi and 55 psi. However, my right rear inside tire was completely flat, and the tire was off the bead. The lock ring was in place, but not really well. I got the air hose to air it up, but no valve stem was in place for me to air up the tire! Upon closer inspection, and me reaching underneath the tire (off the bead) I found that there was no tube inside! Not sure the story behind this little episode, but I will make sure I replace the tube before the trip. Good thing I caught that...

Also, one thing I found in my truck was a note, made on the very top of the grille, in permanent marker, by a former user of the truck. I could barely make out the letters, so I wiped off some dust and pollen that had settled there and I could make out:

"I WAS 'H' CODED, NOW I'M UNSTOPPABLE"

For the story, my truck had a freshly remanufactured engine put in place 37 miles prior to surplussing it out. I can deduce two explanations for this comment:

1. The truck was formerly listed as "H" code (unserviceable), and got the rebuild treatment at Toole Army Depot, and whoever scribbled that statement was amazed at the newly acquired power the truck has with its new engine, as well as I will be when I get her on the road.

...or....

2. The truck has no brakes. (unstoppable = no brakes?) I hope this isn't the case. :)

FormerNewMVGuy

Did you tow that truck home? good thing the tire didnt come apart while towing!
Sounds like its time to pull the drums off and check them brakes!

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Two of my inside tires were that way, I drove to Aberdeen last year on one of them. (bad Ferro!!!) :oops: The tube has a tendency to rotate within the tire when no air pressure is inside it holding it fast to the walls of the tire and rim. Which will drag the valve stem inside. Somehow. Mine did.

My truck was H coded and unstoppable too... it took a whole warehouse to stop mine!!! rofl

beaubeau

Hey guys, u don' t want to run the trucks with a flat tire. The tube gets Sucked in and when traveling down the road like this, I have seen tires Catch Fire. Thats a no, no!! Radial tire without a tube are more forgiving, Good luck, Phil

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure you guys got this when you read the post - there was NO tube inside the tire at all, I reached in the loose tire and checked. Yes, this one was towed back from Chambersburg in January, glad it got home without incident now that I see this tubeless tire was present.

beaubeau

Maddawg308, Do U thunk someone put a Tubeless tire on a Split rim? It doesn't make sence!? It would not hold air very long. Amazing what the Govt. can Do, or Noy do!!
Phil

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nah, I can't explain it. Maybe there was a tube in it, and it ripped apart and left itself on the road somewhere between Chambersburg and Strasburg (100 miles), that's the only logical explanation I can give it. All I can say is there's nothing there now. I can't envision a depot, or any maintenance facility for that matter, being so cheap as to try putting a tube tire onto a split rim with no tube. The military has budget problems sometimes, but not that bad....

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The "put a tire on it so we can get it out of here and turned in!! But Sarge, we dont have any tubes.. I dont give a rats a$$, put a tire on it" scenario is very probable here........

You guys need to remember, once a truck is heading for turn in, the unit doesnt care about it at all.....

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
beaubeau said:
Maddawg308, Do U thunk someone put a Tubeless tire on a Split rim? It doesn't make sence!? It would not hold air very long. Amazing what the Govt. can Do, or Noy do!!
Phil
Now, the m656/xm757 8x8 trucks run on tubeless, bias ply, low aspect ratio, low pressure tires and split ring type mounting.....

papercu

tube

It would not hold air very long
There isn't anyway to air the tire up without a tube (no valve stem and no place to put one) and a flat tire on the rear would not cause a fire as long as the truck was unloaded and the tire beside it was inflated close to the correct psi.

While It is not a good thing to run it flat, if you are not in a safe or convenience place to change it don't worry about it till you get someplace.

There has to be friction for fire and the flat tire will just spin in place and the fact the tube (and the flap) was gone shows the tire was just spinning on the rim. Wayne

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks