• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire life expectancy

Gunfreak25

What's the life expectancy of brand new 9.00x20 Military tires on the Deuce? These have a such a high ply rating that it seems to me if they are run at the proper pressure, standard duels setup, mainly driven on pavement and no heavy load in the bed they would last darn near forever. I live in a small town and will be driving my soon to arrive Deuce only a few times per week just to run my small business errands. Of course here in the hot Yuma area we also keep a good sunblock on our tires to prevent dry rot.

Another part of my question is pricing. Jacks Government surplus is very close by at only 250 miles from here. My Deuce is currently sitting near his lot and I will be shipping the old girl home in late August (bad tires, no brakes, needs some work)
Before it ships Jack told me that he could throw 4 good, road worthy 50% tires in the bed at $50 a piece. Is that the norm or are they overpriced? He also sells NOS 100% tires at $100 a piece.

Last edited:

Paul Wolfe

Hi,
Unfortunately, tire life is not too good, one tire life and milage killer is is the lack of an inner differential between the two rear axles. The best thing for long road trips is to pull the drive shaft between the two rear axles.
Try to run rear tires with the same amount of tread (same overall diamater). The more the difference of tire size between the two axes thee more tire slip.

Paul

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hi,
Unfortunately, tire life is not too good, one tire life and milage killer is is the lack of an inner differential between the two rear axles. The best thing for long road trips is to pull the drive shaft between the two rear axles.
Try to run rear tires with the same amount of tread (same overall diamater). The more the difference of tire size between the two axes thee more tire slip.

Paul
I think the poster should read these threads before taking up that advice. We've discussed this a great deal but these 2 threads cover it in the best detail.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/38371-deuce-transmission-disaster-pics.html (posts #6 and #7 specifically)

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/10858-rear-drive-shaft-disconnect.html (good discussion all the way around).

The overall diameter comment is dead on. If you do a search on matching rear tires by Recovry4x4, you will find a very good description on how to match up 8 tires in the best way for tire life and driveability.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My expectation is that the tires will dry rot, or you will sell the truck, before you wear them out. Are you planning on putting thousands of miles on your truck? If not, and you can protect the tires from the sun as best you can, they should last you a long time. Bjorn (CRANETRUCK) has written articles and posts about tire longevity. You may want to contact him.

Reactions: emr

Heavysteven

Good reading I have a little dry rot two tires in the back. Planning on replacing though. The rest look new but could be ten years old i just dont know.

Excellent post Clinto

Varyag

I haven't noticed much wear on the backs at all. A deuce will munch front tires like candy.

When I got my truck about 3k ago my back tires were pretty bald and fronts brand new. Now the backs are just as bald, not much worse and my fronts are catching up pretty fast.

Gunfreak25

Great information guys, thank you. The truck is actually the Korean era M211 and is not a Multifuel. It has a 455 Oldsmobile motor and a turbo 400 Hydramatic tranny. I don't plan to put be putting thousands of miles on it per year. I thought a Deuce with this power plant setup would be easier for around town use than a Multifuel which I'd probably eat the clutch on within a few years from all the stop and go small town traffic I have here.

This forum has the best search feature I have used on any forum so i'll do some digging around for Recovery4x4's posts.

greensix

I put ten brand new titan 373s on and at 3700 miles the front ones are wearing bad . frontend was aligned and all parts changed before install. The rear ones are wearing ok. It is a gun truck with the extra weight from mount and cab plate contributing to that wear also.

Sgt. Sam

Tires

This spring I replaced 8 1100-20's on my M-62. They were not wone out they were rotted. Have no idea how long they were on the truck.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I would recommed new first run tires on the steering axles....on the rear I run what ever I have as long as they are not slick.

I have tires on the rear axles of my work deuce that are 10-15 years old and manage highway speeds with heavy
loads and I have never blown one out.

There is a tire shop near me that has 12 brand new 900x20's that the owners said he bought by accident....he offered me all of
them to me for 100 each which he claims is his purchase price. Maybe that can be used as a yardstick for prices.

Hope this helps.