• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire Load Ranges...

spankybear

I hope this isn't a question as radioactive as chili with or without beans but here I go. Mixing load rages. I know there are load range D and E tires out there. I only need to replace 2 of my tires (well actually just one but... want to keep the same type of tires on axle ) I understand I will never have the load the military carries and don't meed the higher range. What harm would it be if I had 2 Ds and 2 Es on the truck. Of course I would keep them inflated the same and under the D max PSI. I would also keep the same range on each axle. I am thinking somewhere somewhere around 30PSI.

I do know and have read the warning on the side of the tires. I understand if I had an armored truck and running max weight I would not want to to mix lower rated tires.

And a question less hazards that 9 vs 45... Do load range D tires ride better, or softer, or less knock the kidney stones loose. I want to get tires order this week and trying to decide what way to go.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, the D range will ride slightly softer, and have better flex off road when aired down (don't have to air down as far for the same amount of flex as E range)

E range tires also need the 24 paired bolt rims in order to inflate above 50psi, so no benefit to running them if you don't have those rims.

If you are only replacing two of your tires, it's much better to keep them all the same load rating.

I'm not sure which way you are trying to go, or what tires you already have, but looking at your profile you also have an M1101 trailer which uses the same tires as the HMMWV, so if you're just going to replace 2 with a different load rating, depending on what you already have or what you are going to you can also swap 2 tires onto the trailer so the truck has 4 the same load range and the trailer gets the 2 of the other range or tire type/brand

spankybear

I have the E range rims and tires on the truck. The trailer has the lighter wheels (12 bolt? didn't count) They are NOS tires but from 2008 not too sure what I will do with them. Do the trailers have run flats?

The down the road plan is for go with D tires all the way around on the truck. It just I have 2 really good tires and one not too bad and one that is junk. I would rather use up what I have instead of changing all right now.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the E range rims and tires on the truck. The trailer has the lighter wheels (12 bolt? didn't count) They are NOS tires but from 2008 not too sure what I will do with them. Do the trailers have run flats?

The down the road plan is for go with D tires all the way around on the truck. It just I have 2 really good tires and one not too bad and one that is junk. I would rather use up what I have instead of changing all right now.
the trailer uses the exact same setup as the HMMWV, including the run flats.

If you use the trailer much, I'd just switch the rims out of the 2 LR-E tires you have on the truck with the ones on the trailer, and put those on the trailer. Then get 4 new matched tires for the truck and call it good. The trailer tires can be kept as spares.
Even if it's LR-E, as long as you don't go above 50psi you can put them on the 12 bolt rims no problem (and likely you'll be running them around 20psi on a trailer anyway)

Personally I ran a pair of 2008 and a pair of 2001 tires on my truck for a couple years. The 2001 were stored inside for 15 years (originally on an H1 that the owners switched wheels on, and I got them cheap) The 2008 started failing so I finally ordered a set of 4 BFG Baja from Feltz (100% tread 2018+ date code) With shipping it was just under $1500 for 4 tires shipped to the freight yard in Tacoma at the beginning of this year.

If you really don't have to I would avoid running mixed load range tires on one truck. It won't really do any harm, and it's your truck so it really doesn't make much difference, but I just don't like to mix like that.

Better to switch them all out at once on a full time 4wd vehicle if possible.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can run D and E range on all 12 and 24 bolt variations with no issues, all 3 tires have a 50psi rating…the reason for not mixing only applies to the military on armored HMMWV’s, they don’t want D range used on Frag 5 heavy armored hmmwv, D were made for even 24 bolt rims and E’s for staggered…but for us civilians running unarmored hmmwv, they are all fine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks