• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire Mounting help??? OR/ WA?

rolling18

Welp I finally did it!! I bit the bullet and bought 7 Goodyear MVT in size 395 85 20!!

now the hard part....

I have NEVER worked on changing a tire on a wheel let alone a split rim!:drool:

is there anyone in or around the Portland OR. area that would be willing to show me how to do this job myself??? (of course I will pay for your time) i am willing to drive about 60 miles radius:mrgreen:

thanks again!
Marc

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Tire rama and Les shwab charge 21-23$ a tire to mount and dismount. Its worth it for them to do it in 1/4 the time you can do it alone.

rolling18

Tire rama and Les shwab charge 21-23$ a tire to mount and dismount. Its worth it for them to do it in 1/4 the time you can do it alone.
I will consider that, but around here tire places are wanting $100 EACH!! including a new 52$ tube (swapping tires on rims and disposal of old tire)

BUT I also would like to know for my own info if something should happen in the field w/o any one around

jtron79

If you search some on here there are MANY tutorials and doing this job, they explain it very well with pictures. Just an FYI these are not "split rims" and it would not be wise to refer to them as such, tire places frown on split rims as they are killers. I know Josh lives in portland and has taken off the tires many times.

Have you purchased 11x20 tubes yet? you can run 395's on stock rims but not with the 9x20 tubes.

BadMastard

Unless you are thinking you will BUY split rims like a recenter hemtt or A3 rims, etc. In which case, I posted up some pics for how to do it with pretty explicit directions. You're welcome to bring them up and I'll help you do it, but I don't know if driving all the way down to portland for instructional purposes only is on my to do list. (those of you who have heard this phrase may laugh now.)

rolling18

Unless you are thinking you will BUY split rims like a recenter hemtt or A3 rims, etc. In which case, I posted up some pics for how to do it with pretty explicit directions. You're welcome to bring them up and I'll help you do it, but I don't know if driving all the way down to portland for instructional purposes only is on my to do list. (those of you who have heard this phrase may laugh now.)
I apologize I use the wrong term I don't mean split rims I mean retainer rings with the split in them or beadlocks I don't know what they're called exactly. I was asking for help in the local area meaning around portland I would not expect anyone to drive down to me haha. and yes of course I would drive to wherever the location would be.
I have found several threads as suggested on how to do it but I want someone the bailable to call for emergency help if I f- up
or don't do it correctly perfectly for some reason. and I still need to buy the tools to do it.

I know brad would help me he is a great great guy and has help me greatly so far

I bought 7 of the goodyear tires for 200 dollars each 1 was brand new, and a couple of other things as well.

I did not know I would need to buy new inner tubes as well. at over 50 dollars per tube it will take a couple weeks to get . or the 1400 by 20 size

rolling18

I also put out a craigslist ad locally that I would pay someone to do this for me and show me how
earth usually always someone needing some extra money for the holidays coming up Hehe

BadMastard

Totally cool, hope you have some luck there. I highly encourage anyone looking at doing this to consider the m35a3 rims. The 395's sure do sit nice on them, and you can do the work yourself with very little other than a good impact wrench and a tool or two. I had the same consideration when I was looking at mounting the tires on old style rims and though 50-80 bucks for the tube and rim protector could go for new rims instead. Again, not saying what you can, can't, should or shouldn't do, it's your truck, have fun!

rolling18

Totally cool, hope you have some luck there. I highly encourage anyone looking at doing this to consider the m35a3 rims. The 395's sure do sit nice on them, and you can do the work yourself with very little other than a good impact wrench and a tool or two. I had the same consideration when I was looking at mounting the tires on old style rims and though 50-80 bucks for the tube and rim protector could go for new rims instead. Again, not saying what you can, can't, should or shouldn't do, it's your truck, have fun!
OOo thats a great idea!! what do A3 wheels typically cost anyway?
do they require tubes also?
typical price ?

i have also read that hemitt wheels (recentered for 6 lug) is maybe even better than the A3??
tryuing to find a cost for those..
thanks

Last edited:

Loco_Hosa

A3 Wheels DO NOT require tubes, and remove the potential danger of split ring wheels. However, last I checked bead-lock wheels are illegal to run on DOT highways. Double check that.

Let me know what kind of prices you find on A3 wheels, I am considering fallowing your footsteps during tax return season next year :)

jtron79

It should be noted for those who haven't heard that it is not recommended to run A3 rims with 395's due to the lock not completely covering the bead. I know Jerry has installed them and some believe it to be safe but YMMV. The point being more research should be put in place besides the upfront "cost" if you will. 100dollarman was selling some recentered hemtt wheels, not sure if he still has them or not but there's one source, from what I've seen the A3 wheels are just as costly as the recentered hemtt's

BadMastard

Hey All,

Ok, just to clear up some questions.

Legality- I have always believed that beadlock WHEELS are illegal, and this website tends to confirm that. It states that internal beadlocks are compliant with SAE j5230 which is the standard to which wheels comply currently.
LiftLaws.com - Are Beadlocks Street Legal?.
This tends to confirm my original thoughts on the beadlocks, which is they are approved for military use, just like our wheels are, as well as highway use (according to the stamps on my rims.) If I were to be pulled over, it's literally impossible for a officer to see if I have beadlocks unless he decides to help me change my tires. The odds of that happening, once he sees the tires? about zero.

Are the 395 tires mounted on A3 wheels safe? Now we start getting into the part where we all think something different. Would I put them on without beadlocks? Ummm, no. Can you? Yes. Here's what goes awry. The side of the bead area on the wheel is shorter than the bead area on the 395's (well, it's a 5 ton tire, you'd expect a larger bead) The height of the A3 beadlocks are the approximate height of the bead area on the wheel. This equates to the beadlock pushing the beads of the tire deeply into the rim. So once that is accomplished, you will find the beads become so well locked into place that even after removing the rim nuts, the tire won't budge off the bead without some serious force. The area where the bead seats is squared up nicely to the tire bead. So it appears to be a good fit. Without the beadlock? I bet it would seat, and I bet it would hold air, and I bet you'd have no problems with it. But I'm not a betting man, so I can't. :)

Same story with using the 8" rims. I bet it would... Well you get the idea.

Hemmt wheels- Boo Yah! If they are on a hemtt truck. Now, if you put them on a deuce, you're going to have to do something to them. At least cut the centers out. then you're going to bolt or weld in a new center. THEN, it's going to fit. It's even going to have a huge bead area which will work nicely with your new massive tires. Your tires are now nicely mounted on rims that are technically DOT illegal. Yep, I said illegal. Why? They have been modified. In order to meet the DOT standards (or JAE) the manufacturer has certified all they stuff to be legal due to testing. You just changed it. Is it safe? I think so. Will you ever have a problem with it? Probably not. Are they safe? I think so. Would I buy them? Yep, if they cost less! Will you get pulled over for them? probably not, but if you're doing something silly already, it's probably going to be another fix it ticket.

Cost of A3 rims- ok, meat and potatoes. I have seen from $125 with beadlocks to $500 without beadlocks and everything inbetween. I paid 125 each with beadlocks. I only had to look for 6 months, so I guess I had more time than money. If you have more money than time, you can go get some today from one of the surplus dealers.

Lastly, I'm not saying I'm a legal expert and this is the way it is. I'm saying this is what I know, and think and my opinions are worth at least a cup of coffee and a donut. Oh, the A3 wheels look da*n sexy on the Bobber with 14.5's. Not too shabby either on the A3 with 395's. Enjoy your deuce!

jtron79

I just wanted to play devils advocate and make the OP realize there's a lot to consider here besides the price of tubes and flaps. This is exactly why i went with a ten lug wheel truck aua

Loco_Hosa

For the record, ,y understanding is that running a 395 is not recommended on any deuce wheel. The way I understand it, a bead-lock make this practice MUCH safer.

No doubt HEMMET wheels are the best choice.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks