• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire options and where to buy

5TID

I am starting to look at replacing my tires since they are about 12 years old. Currently has 1400r20 Michelin XZLs on it (M923A2). I have searched and researched, but still not sure what to do and quite a bit of the information I have found is a bit dated. My driving mostly consists of country back roads about 50mph.

First question, should I stay 1400r20? Or go 1600r20? What else would need to be done for changing size? Which size has better options/best tire/availability?

Where is the best place to buy from? Budget is definitely a factor.

Is changing the tires worth having someone else do? Truck has CTIS. I have never demounted a wheel on my truck yet. What else should be replaced when doing the tires? I read there are wheel gaskets I would imagine would be good to replace too.

Last edited:

charlesmann

Is changing the tires worth having someone else do? Truck has CTIS. I have never demounted a wheel on my truck yet. What else should be replaced when doing the tires? I read there are wheel gaskets I would imagine would be good to replace too.

Depends how much you want to work to dismount 6-7 assemblies. It took me all day and in to the night and part of the next day to bust bead and replace all the rubber on 13 assemblies with a HF porta power, 36” pry bar and a tanker bar. I had lmtv wheels with 395s, but the valve stem body needed to be replaced with those from the combat rims, hence busting bead on 13.
Yes you should replace the oring, esp if they havent been replaced in a while.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
14.00's are basically non-existent from surplus and modern ones are not cost efficient i.e. shipping from Europe, etc. Your options are 395s or 16.00s, both of which are plentiful, available, and fit your rims without any modifications. I have both tires in stock and put them on most M923 trucks that roll through my shop. When doing the remounting it's important to replace the main o-ring on each rim and clean the mating surfaces with a polishing wheel to ensure a good seal. Past that it's lining it all up, getting the bead to sit (requires soap or tire snot), and lots of air.

The pros vs cons for each tire have been covered extensively here on SS. Here's a few quick links:

If your truck is just for driving and on-highway use then 16.00's are the way to go. If you need full articulation for heavy off-road conditions then 395's are it. My M923A2 went to 395's years ago but it looked goofy to me and I put it on 16.00s and never regretted it.

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am starting to look at replacing my tires since they are about 12 years old. Currently has 1400r20 Michelin XZLs on it (M923A2). I have searched and researched, but still not sure what to do and quite a bit of the information I have found is a bit dated. My driving mostly consists of country back roads about 50mph.

First question, should I stay 1400r20? Or go 1600r20? What else would need to be done for changing size? Which size has better options/best tire/availability?

Where is the best place to buy from? Budget is definitely a factor.

I bought my truck from Wisconsin it had five Goodyears, one Michelin and no spare. I purchased two new Goodyears and an extra wheel with CTIS hardware from Feltz tire located in Wisconsin and Texas. The level of service and communication I got from them was excellent and so was the price I think. It was about $600 for the two tires one mounted with the rim and shipped across the state of Wisconsin to the dealer where I bought my truck. These were the 395s for my LMTV.
There may be other good dealers in your area the purchase from but this is the only one I have had an interaction with.

DeMilitarized

Sounds like going with the 16r20s you would not be able to run chains?
Never seen them. Also a 395 is about the biggest tire I would want to change on the side of the road by myself. My m932a2 on 395s goes about 68-72mph top speed with governor adjustment. Not too bad on the highway and dont lose power. If going to turn up the engine in the future 16.00 are going to kill your EGT. 395 are fairly manageable.

5TID

Never seen them. Also a 395 is about the biggest tire I would want to change on the side of the road by myself. My m932a2 on 395s goes about 68-72mph top speed with governor adjustment. Not too bad on the highway and dont lose power. If going to turn up the engine in the future 16.00 are going to kill your EGT. 395 are fairly manageable.
Got a picture of yours with 395?

5TID

Ok, now the big question, where to buy from? I have been looking and talking to places. Seems like I will be down and arm and a leg after this.

What is a reasonable price to pay for tires that will last? I am also considering trying to find some already mounted on wheels then just selling my current wheels (and tires?) to save me the effort of swapping myself. Seems tire shops around here are not willing to do it.

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, now the big question, where to buy from? I have been looking and talking to places. Seems like I will be down and arm and a leg after this.

What is a reasonable price to pay for tires that will last? I am also considering trying to find some already mounted on wheels then just selling my current wheels (and tires?) to save me the effort of swapping myself. Seems tire shops around here are not willing to do it.
Call them tomorrow and see what's their inventory of what you need. If they don't have it in stock in Wisconsin they may have it in their main Texas warehouse which they truck up to Wisconsin periodically

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Also there's a few pallets of those Goodyear's at auction on Gov Planet in Doyle California which is on the 395 just a little north of Tahoe

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks