• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire/Rim screws for 16.5 rims?

biggaloot

Hello, finally getting my first M1008 and will be running 16.5 hummer rubber. In an effort to stop any deflated tires from dropping off the bead I was considering tire/rim screws that some drag racers use as a budget beadlock device. My goal is not a beadlock but to keep a deflated tire beaded and save the hassle involved with that situation. Military beadlock rims needing recentered for proper backspacing are not in the budget for a while nor are the DRW or custom spacers. Just curious of anybodies experience, if any, with screws. Thanks for your time.

Cucvnut

If your going to go that rout just run h1 rims or get weld on bead locks from diy4x4. Screws are good for a 15 second race but not practical for dd use.

depnding on how extreme you want to go... I concur with Nut and tracey.. you will be better off using the H1 rims.... with original runflats... or PVC inserts.... theres several threads discussing this option.... as you will have to run spacers, or have the H1 rims recentered.. in order for them to fit properly, because they have so much back spacing... This is the route i took on my 1009 with M1008 axles, to get tire costs down, long term.... $300 for a Set is alot cheaper than per tire for somrthing simular..... I got my wheels and tires locally and the remaining parts for them to be recentered through trailworthyfab.com:grd:

biggaloot

I've pretty much decided on the recentered H1 rims after some web browesing/education. I'm only 45 minutes from Trail worthy in Wichita so I can save shipping costs by picking up the goods myself. They have good deals on combos on recentered rims and rubber. I think the DIY beadlocks are more than I want to tackle right now and the double beadlock of the H1 rims is a definate plus. I had hummer bias tires on a 48 Willys I had years ago and hated how the tires would unbead when low on air, This time around we can fix that problem. Thanks again for the input.

WARWAG

DIY bead locks are a BAD IDEA unless that is what you do for a living. The weekend warrior fabricator can get alot of people killed or hurt when it comes to bead locks. Glad to see you decided not to. Leave that kinds stuff to the professionals. Of course I dont know what you do for a living but if you did "that" for a living then we wouldnt be reading this post.

biggaloot

Yeah the proffesional prebuilt option wins the day. Also not willing to chase down pinholes and deal with 108 sets of fasteners involved with a set of DIY rims. Maybe 10 yrs. ago but that's another story.
I have machining/welding abilities but also the ability to let someone more qualified than me do the work.:wink:

biggaloot

On DIYx4s site they show how to weld a small retaining bead on civi 16.5 rims, looks interesting but still calls for considrable welding and smoothing in the process. At least the tire bead wouldn't drop off the rim at low pressure.

Kalashnikov

DIY bead locks are a BAD IDEA unless that is what you do for a living. The weekend warrior fabricator can get alot of people killed or hurt when it comes to bead locks. Glad to see you decided not to. Leave that kinds stuff to the professionals. Of course I dont know what you do for a living but if you did "that" for a living then we wouldnt be reading this post.
Why is that?

On DIYx4s site they show how to weld a small retaining bead on civi 16.5 rims, looks interesting but still calls for considrable welding and smoothing in the process. At least the tire bead wouldn't drop off the rim at low pressure.
The only problem with the retaining bead is that it is also a pain to mount and demount tires.

The good thing about the DIY beadlocks is that you can weld them on and wheel you like plus you don't have the insert to deal with like hummer wheels.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks