• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire selection for my 1008 with an 8" lift

USMC0311

Hi All,
I am looking for some help in selecting tires for my 1985 M1008. I have a set off of a Hummer (36's I think). what is the tallest tire that I can go with? The truck has an 8" lift. Also I am looking for an affordable transmission that will allow me to go fater than 55 any suggestions? I will put some pics u soon. Thanks for the help.

gocmndo

If you are set on the 36" tires you should not have any problems with rubbing. You may have some balancing issues if these are the bias ply Goodyears.
I run a Tuff Country 4" lift and run 37" tall Goodyear Military M/T's. I have trimmed the fenders to help with rubbing when off road.
As far as your transmission before you pull the trigger put your tires on and go for a drive. The taller tires make an increadable difference for freeway drivability.
Good Luck and post some pics!!

hobie237

I'll be putting a 700R4 in my M1008. Lower first for more pulling power, plus an overdrive for better cruising. Readily available and durable.

Croatan_Kid

I say 40s or 42s!!!!

Mine could stand a little higher gear or a slightly larger tire with the 4.56s and 700R4. It's not too bad though, I can get 15 MPG easy and the RPMs aren't too high. I don't think the Cummins will care too much though! :D

AJMBLAZER

I'm with Croatan. That much lift you should easily be able to fit a 38-40 without any trouble and a 42" with minor rubbing or trimming.

Hell, I've seen 44's with no lift so anything's possible.

USMC0311

Thank you all for the suggestions. I will be looking this weekend at tires for the beast. Pic's should be up by sunday. Thanks again!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks