• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire Shake

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi, I finally got the new 923 out for a run today. It has the Goodyear G177 tires on it and has a shake at around 40-45 but seems to pretty much drive through it. I'm pretty sure its in the front tires. The tires are brand new (still had casting flash across the tread. I am not sure where to even start. Are these split rim/inner tube combos able to be balanced? Alignment? Thanks for any and all ideas.

Attachments

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't tell clearly in the picture. Is your tread worn smooth across or is it choppy?

Possible problems: Out of Alignment (thread here on ss on doing a field alignment), Leaks at seals or boots? Bearings & front end or axle components? Is the hub bolts on the front by the lug nuts all tight? Worn shocks usually will make it bouncy and chop the tires.

If all front end components check out, possibly rotate tires to middle and put a fresh set on front. If problem is gone, then your suspicion on tires or balance is correct. If problem persists, also check drive shaft and u- joints but the I don't know if the 40-45 speed is right for those problems.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tires

I have set the fronts at 80 psi, rears at 50

tires are brand new. I included the picture of the tire tread as it shows the casting flash still on the contact area.

Visual inspection of the front end looks good. No obvious leask or abnormal wear.

I put about 50 miles on today to see about driving out flat spots, didn't really seem to help. I had to borrow a dealer plate for that, so more testing may have to wait. I may just put it away for the winter and deal with it in the spring. I try not to expose my living history to NYS salt if I can avoid it....

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a similar problem with my M818 right front tire. I thought it was the tire or shock, but replaced both and still have very bad shake at 35+ mph. I'll take a photo of the NDT wear when I get home next week. I'm thinking the power steering hydraulic rod may be bad as it looks to be leaking on the front end.

deputyden

What kind of tire pressure should I run on my G177 tires. It says on the tire about 115psi(?), but the dash plates say different.......a lot different, like 50psi front and 60psi back. The M923 runs a little bouncy on the 115psi. What do any of you suggest for the best ride and wear...but safety first?

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well this one has been sitting dormant for a while, but seems to have been fixed. DH and I were determined to get this figured out. Turns out there was an apparently bent rim (driver side front outside dual). It was only visible at a certain speed in the mirrors. Changed it out with the brand new rim/brand new tire spare combo, and vila, shake is gone. Now the truck really is as smooth as its supposed to be on 177s. Let it sit for a week and a half while I was out of town, and took it out again, nice and smooth. Thanks DH!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks