• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire shopping

appalacious

Ok, I'm about to pull my hair out. I've been on Tirerack.com and other sites trying to find some good tires for my M1009. I'm pretty sure I want AT's and I'm pretty sure I want 33's. I anticipate revamping the suspension soon and I may put a couple inches lift on it, so I don't want anything less than 33s if I do that. Problem is, on tirerack.com all of the tires seem to want either 16" rims (which I don't have and can't find cheap) or 15" rims that are wider than 8".

I've been focusing on the "off brands" since I'm on a budget.

Any advice from the old & wise out there?

Thanks guys,

J

ps, I plan on going to Atlanta if I can get these things on there before the 15th.

Heyas J!

Give Kenny at Southern Commercial Tire a call. He's the one set me up with the tires on my truck when the old ones went south. He's got used/new and can order anything. He's right off I-475 at the Bolingbroke exit. Turn off the exit towards Forsyth and you'll see his place on the right.

ps, I plan on going to Atlanta if I can get these things on there before the 15th.
I'll be going too, it looks like. If my mom wants to throw me a birthday party like usual, she can ride up there with us. :lol: Gimme a yell, maybe we can convoy or somethin.

rgguin

J and Steve are you all members of the Georgia MVPA? I am a member, but not sure I will be able to make the Southeastern Fall Rally and Swap meet coming up in September 15-17 at the Dixie Wing of the Commemorative Air Force Facility located at Falcon Air Field in Peachtree City, GA. Rally is usual pretty good.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Appalacious, you needn't be a member to show up and have a cold one with us!

:beer:

appalacious said:
so are 32's as big as I can go with stock rims? Are there any off brand 32's that do good?
J
Didja call Kenny? I'd be surprised if he couldn't get ya something in the size ya want. He's closed now, though, and won't be open again till Monday. :?

I'm not a member either, I plan on goin to the Rally though. I'll do some reading and maybe be a member by the time we get there.

gasser

To chime in
I got 32x10.5x15 SuperSwampers TSL's tires and USWheel 15x8 wheels from 4WheelParts in Atlanta. They fit well with the stock suspension and were a great price. Plus they look killer!

-graham

rizzo

Zinlu said:
Mine were 285/75 R16 Yokohama Geolandars. They were used, but still plenty of tread and he hooked me up mount n balance and 4 tires for 150 bucks.
I have had these tires and think they are GREAT! I tried Bridgestone Deuler Revo's and think they are GREAT also. I will probably go back to the Geolanders cause they are cheaper.

JCease

I have been looking at tires in anticipation of purchasing a M1009 as well. A internet check at "COSTCO.com" showed 4 BFG A/T tires installed and etc for $507.96. Add in tax at whatever your local rate may be and thats what a total may come out to. Those are the 31x10.50 tires size which shows as a factory application. Might be worth while to check a place like the above mentioned because they have pretty good service plans and honor a lot of issues like road hazzard etc.

Armada

Armada: What kind of lift do you have?

J, I have a Superlift lift kit (front springs, rear blocks, polyurethane bushings) iirc from National Tire and Wheel (1-800-847-3287). With 2 inches of lift, nothing else needs to be modified. With 4+ inches of lift, you need to change out more parts.
I've always used the Skyjacker Softride lifts in the past, but they told me the Skyjacker springs would not hold a true 2 inches under the extra weight of the 6.2 diesel engine, larger batteries, extra alternator, etc., and that the Superlift would. Plus they were on sale :wink: .
I didn't NEED to lift the truck for the size of tire I used, but I wanted to change the look of it a little, and replace the tired out 20 year old springs.

For tire choice, I've alway used BFG All-Terrains. I have used the Mud Terrains a couple times though, but I mostly use my trucks on the street along with some light 2 track trail riding or in the snow, and All-Terrains are quiet on the highway and last a looong time.

As far as tire size, it's the width that starts to cause problems with the sheetmetal. For an even taller tire on an unlifted truck, BFG makes a 33x10.5 that will fit and they recomend wheel width to be 7.0 - 9.0 inches. The 1009 stock rims are 8.0 inch wide.
32x11.5 will fit a wheel width of 8.0 - 10.0. Their 33x12.5 tires have a recomended wheel width of 8.5 - 11.0 inches.

Keep in mind the 1009's have a 3.08 gear ratio, but having a 3 spd transmission with no overdrive helps at highway speeds. The 32" tires don't make much of a difference at all with the gearing characteristics, but you will notice a little difference with the 33's.

Now I'm not a tire and wheel expert, but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn last night :) .

Note: Picture shows the stock springs compared to the 2" Superlift springs, and the truck with the 2" lift and the 32" tires.

Attachments

appalacious

Thanks man, That price quote a few posts up is for the 33x10.50's. Your truck looks great of course. I guess I should go with the 11.50s- whaddaya think? Also, tell me more about the gear ratio stuff- what kind of difference will I notice?

J

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks