• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire Size Comparison 16 vs 14 vs 15.5

M1075

Do the 15.5's have the same style of bead as the 14.00 and 16.00?
I have a few of the smaller 14.50R20's, and they have the automotive style bead. I see them mounted on combat wheels, but they are not designed for that (truck) style wheel.
Yes 15.5s have the same standard truck bead. Those 14.5s are MPT style.

KsM715

This might be a stretch but would it be possible to get 2 trucks in one picture (from the side) with one truck on 16's and one truck on 14's. The little kid in me says get the bigger tires, the bigger the better but Im diggin the looks of those 14's on that M818

mudguppy

Thanks Rob,
Will larger tires affect a massive power loss, or bearing wear on a duece? Is there any adverse issues that could come from it?

Bobed 53's will fit with no mods to the exhaust stack in the inner fender or such on a duece.
i think bearing wear will have more to do w/ the wheel offset than anything else. yes, there is massive power loss running 16's on the deuce. i have turned the fuel up on mine and the driveability has greatly improved.

i think 16's on a stock deuce will work stiting still on flat ground. any kind of offroad will cause clearance issues. i have 6" lift springs on mine - under decent (but not quite full) front axle articulation the 16's will try to grab the driver's side fender if turning and the passenger's side tire will rub the exhaust J-pipe, turning or not.

i really could have used an 8" lift, but i'll see if i gain any height after the repower due to weight loss.

PawnShopEd

i think bearing wear will have more to do w/ the wheel offset than anything else. yes, there is massive power loss running 16's on the deuce. i have turned the fuel up on mine and the driveability has greatly improved.

i think 16's on a stock deuce will work stiting still on flat ground. any kind of offroad will cause clearance issues. i have 6" lift springs on mine - under decent (but not quite full) front axle articulation the 16's will try to grab the driver's side fender if turning and the passenger's side tire will rub the exhaust J-pipe, turning or not.

i really could have used an 8" lift, but i'll see if i gain any height after the repower due to weight loss.
Wow thanks for all the help - If one wanted to put 53's on and turn it up how hard would it be to find 8" lift springs. I plan on makeing the next duece a bobber I just picked up. to go larger for offroad purposes and for better traveling ability on highway. Which offset is ideal for ale durability. And with turning up the injection pump how reliable are the motors compared to normal? same just need a pyrometer?

Thanks thanks

mudguppy

Wow thanks for all the help - If one wanted to put 53's on and turn it up how hard would it be to find 8" lift springs. ...
i believe a custom spring shop can build a set; Jim [aka cavemantrucks on here] had a set built by a shop local to him when he built my truck. they're not cheap, but not as expensive as you'd think. i did a set of lift springs in the front and lift blocks in the rear with traction bars - pics are in my profile album.

... Which offset is ideal for ale durability[?] ...
this, i couldn't say. the wheels i have are a bit possitive offset, i'm not sure how much. i think as long as you don't run a ton of negative offset and fully loaded you shouldn't impact the bearings much.

... And with turning up the injection pump how reliable are the motors compared to normal? ...
how reliable? yes, same as normal - they're not. search around on here and you'll fish up plenty of stories of guys throwing rods through their blocks for no good reason; they maintain it, don't over rev it, baby it, etc. etc. you just have to understand that these motors can go for 200k miles or they could let go at any second. personally, i don' trust 'em, so that's a big reason i'm doing a repower.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow thanks for all the help - If one wanted to put 53's on and turn it up how hard would it be to find 8" lift springs. I plan on makeing the next duece a bobber I just picked up. to go larger for offroad purposes and for better traveling ability on highway. Which offset is ideal for ale durability. And with turning up the injection pump how reliable are the motors compared to normal? same just need a pyrometer?

Thanks thanks
Somebody's Bobb'd Deuce with 53's.

Attachments

M1075

I hear he is going to change things on it this winter from his neighbor. He has not been around when I have stopped and I don't know his name or number.
If you see him, introduce him to Steel Soldiers. Several guys on here have fabbed up some impressive lifts to accomodate the 16R20 tires. He might see something that might help him.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you see him, introduce him to Steel Soldiers. Several guys on here have fabbed up some impressive lifts to accomodate the 16R20 tires. He might see something that might help him.
OK, I will do that. The reason I stopped there is someone said he had some 14's or 14.5's for sale and I'm looking for some 14.5's.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks