• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire tool

jimm1009

This tool was in my truck that I picked up on Monday along with a 8 ton bottle jack.

The tool is stamped: 10508 Ken-Tool USA

I googled the tool and there are very similar Ken-Tool tools like this
but not by this part number. It has the 1 1/2" hex on the lower end and the 3/4" square on the upper end as pictured and is used for the inner and outer lug nuts.
I got all excited because I thought that I had a Torque Stick here but it is just a tire tool (hand powered).

Jim

Attachments

reuben

I have one simular, It has a hex socket on both ends with a square inside one of them and a sliding crossbar with a third size of hex on one end. and the shaft of the cross bar is also hex so it can be twisted by the first bar. It always takes an extra pipe to get enough torque. It was with the old chevy truck but I was told it was a military wrench.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a standard off the shelf heavy duty tire tool available from most truck suppliers. The company I used to work for shipped thousands to AM General in the 70's, 80's and early 90's. Ken Tool has a complete line of heavy duty truck tire equipment.

Jake0147

I got one of those, used. Seems the previous user discovered that the square end (13/16") will still kind of fit the three quarter inch impact gun. Still works just as it should, but it does bugger it up inside the square hole pretty well.

Chinookpilot77

I have one exactly like this that I just bought. I looked up Ken tools and found the TR5 and the TR11 cross bars. I know the TR5 will fit, not sure about the TR11 (which is supposed to be heavier duty and longer) . I need to find out though, I am trying to change my tires right now and I bent a variety of 3/4 stock today...

How long was the original cross bar for this tool, and what was it made out of? I tried heating my lugs, everything, can't get them to budge...yet.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one exactly like this that I just bought. I looked up Ken tools and found the TR5 and the TR11 cross bars. I know the TR5 will fit, not sure about the TR11 (which is supposed to be heavier duty and longer) . I need to find out though, I am trying to change my tires right now and I bent a variety of 3/4 stock today...

How long was the original cross bar for this tool, and what was it made out of? I tried heating my lugs, everything, can't get them to budge...yet.
You DO know there are LH and RH lugs on these :?:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
L & R are stamped on the ends, or on the shoulders of the nuts. Otherwise its Left Hand/Left side. Right Hand/right side.

On any of those "Budd" type wheels, you need a six foot cheater pipe (1&1/4" pipe) to get the lugs off. When you put them on, you tighten them till they "pop". Little 2 & 3 foot bars, don't get it. You can uses the short bar, but you need the cheater pipe to put over it, and to break them loose or tighten them. One inch pipe will bend.

Lee in Alaska

wsucougarx

That is correct most of the time in regard to Left hand/Left Side etc. It all depends if the correct bolts got placed on the the correct side. I spent 2 hours on one lug nut only to find that it had reverse threads compared to the other correct ones:oops:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The clever engineers had a suspicion that sort of thing might happen, so they stamped things to give Folks a hint of the direction.

Chinookpilot77

You DO know there are LH and RH lugs on these :?:
I dont think I'll justify this with an answer.

Moving on.

I would like to ask my original question again and see if anyone knows if the TR11 will fit in the standard deuce tool?

If not then maybe the TR5 with a 6ft 1 1/4" pipe is the ticket. Just afraid I'll bend that bar too.

How long of a crossbar originally came with this tool?

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I dont think I'll justify this with an answer.

Moving on.
I would like to ask my original question again and see if anyone knows if the TR11 will fit in the standard deuce tool?
If not then maybe the TR5 with a 6ft 1 1/4" pipe is the ticket. Just afraid I'll bend that bar too.
How long of a crossbar originally came with this tool?

http://www.kentool.com/kentool_catalog2007.pdf

Chinookpilot77

Yeah I already found both tools in the catalog. The problem with the catalog is that the diameter of the TR11 isn't stated, so I dont know if its still a 3/4 diameter. I was hoping somebody on here had some first hand experience with the TR11 or the TR5. The tool catalog doesn't have the information I need unfortunately.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah I already found both tools in the catalog. The problem with the catalog is that the diameter of the TR11 isn't stated, so I dont know if its still a 3/4 diameter. I was hoping somebody on here had some first hand experience with the TR11 or the TR5. The tool catalog doesn't have the information I need unfortunately.
Pretty sure the TR11 is quite larger, (15/16" or so) otherwise it would be listed along with the TR5. I'll check with my previous employer tomorrow and see if there is one on the shelf to be measured. As I recall, it wasn't a big seller. You could also call Ken Tool direct.

jimm1009

kent tool

Every stud that I've ever seen is marked with an R or an L on the tip.
As most know, the design theory is the left side studs are l/h thread and the right side studs are r/h threads.
While you are standing just to the side facing the wheel, look down at the threads on the stud. If they appear to point out to the right (your right shoulder facing the wheel) then it is a left hand thread.
If the threads seems to taper out to the left (your left shoulder) then it is a tradiitional, right hand thread. This is as you are standing next to the vehicle facing the tire and wheel from the side.
The tool that I pictured in this thread is available if somone wants it but it is genuine military so there are no markings on it.
I do not have the croos bar that goes with it as someone within Uncle's organization kept it when they turned my truck in.
I have no idea what they are worth but I'm open to suggestions.
What I suggest is purchasing the budd wheel socket and the 1 " drive air impact wrench from Harbor Freight and using it. You can use a glad hand and actually run it right off your truck as long as the truck is running and it will build air. You have to hook it up to the right side wich is emergency air in order to get full pressure.
When I purchased mine a year ago it was about $110 for the air wrench.
Someone else had a recent thread about a Harbor Freight gas powered impact wrench for less than $100 and they ordered it.
Too each his own but I don't particually care for the traditional soldier issued tools my self.
Jim
jimm1009 here on S.S. or e-mail me @ jimm1009@yahoo.com
:-D

Chinookpilot77

Well I did figure out how to use this tool without the issued cross bar or a TR5 bar. I put a 6" 3/4" Grade 8 bolt through the tool, then put a 1" pipe inside a 11/4" 4' long pipe and was able to break the lugnuts without bending anything else. I used a high lift jack on the free end of the tool to keep it level. It worked out great and now I have two new 395's on my deuce. Next week I have to flip the hubs and get the back tires on. Wish me luck!

SGTStewart

TM has it at 3/4" by 30" long.

fasttruck

Other good news is military lug wrenches also come in dofferent lengths and the longer ones will not fit under the body of an m35 to loosen the nuts that hold the spare tire into the holder. Check yours before you get stuck someplace and cannot release the spare tire. . .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks