• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire Tools....

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Is there a special name for the socket/tool (besides socket/tool) used to get the lug nuts off on a Deuce, or is it strictly a military item? I realized after I got back from El Paso with the 109's that I had no way to change a tire if the need arose, all three trucks had all the tire changing tools removed :( I'm getting my M35's from Santa Fe on Monday and would like to have the ability to chage a flat.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One tidbit of helpful info before using your new Budd Socket when you get one. The left(drivers) side of the truck should have LEFT Hand threads and the right(passenger) side should have RIGHT hand threads(wheel studs and lug nuts). You need to look closely to be sure this is true for your truck, sometimes complete hubs have been swapped between trucks(and not from the same sides) or just a stud or two could have been replaced with either left or right handed studs. The very center of the stud may have a visible L or R to designate the direction of thread.

EdMontana

Re: RE: Tire Tools....

gimpyrobb said:
I can vouch for the sockets Lee is selling. In fact, I should order 2 more.
What kind of tool you use to turn those sockets? I just got my super single out on my A3 using the socket tool and bar that come with it....I must say, it drained all my energy to break the damn thing loose and I was afraid to break the bar which is a more robust set up.

Question, would the air compressor from the Deuce be powerful enough to run a 1" hammer impact wrench?? Harborfreight has it for $120.

rgregj

I had problems getting my lug nuts off. Broke two 1/2 breaker bars. Finally found a gear reduction lug wrench. Now its really easy. Ken tools sells them. Luckily, I got mine from Sermis. Hope this helps and good luck.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
EdMontana, the quick answer is, it's a 3/4' drive socket that Houdel has for sale. Yes, a Harbor Freight 1" impact can be run off the air on the deuce. This can be improved by using an auxiliary air tank and a 1/2" or larger hose to feed the impact wrench. Do a search on HF impact, 1" impact, air pig, or whatever else you can think of and you will find this has been covered well in previous posts.

And as far as the quality of Houdels sockets, I bought one from him and used it on a 3/4" breaker bar with a 10' cheater pipe on a stubborn lug nut. I put all I had into it for a while until I realized I was trying to loosen a left hand threaded lug nut the wrong way!!! I was impressed, nothing broke.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are available in either 3/4 or 1" at NAPA.
If you can't get one before Monday, you can get the front lug nuts off with a regular socket. You can remove the outer duel with a regular socket also. If an inner duel blows and your outer tire is up, run it . You'll be ok!

FreightTrain

Banned
No,do not run on a flat rear.These are tube tires and if your run them flat they will catch fire.A regular extinguisher ain't gonna do squat for a tire fire either.Water will have a tough time unless you submerge the tire.