• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire tread life

drivebymashing

20160410_090748.jpgAny idea how many miles this tire has assuming highway propper air pressure unloaded miles?
It was on it when i got the truck Its a m35a2. I dont drive this truck on any public roads. Just curious how much farther can it go before it pops. Its on the rear of the truck. Thanks

Blackbear

Rule of thumb is five years on life, most folks with normal or low miles beat that however I'm a tire guy, lie like great tires, and don't trust anything over five years, in your case that tire looks ten years old and 75 thousand miles I'd start a replacement program now, they can be used as well, shoot for 1-2 years old.

drivebymashing

Ok I bought a set of 10 used from someone going to super singles. I thought about going to 1100s. The truck has 37k miles ive put 1500 on it. Could of been used replacements on it the others were probably replaced because of dryrot.

tobyS

It will keep you off the ground until it doesn't. With a tube, it can go to the cords. They will be extremely bad at stopping in rain. NDCC has that issue, even when nearly new. I sure wouldn't intentionally put the one pictured on a vehicle, but I would probably drive on it in a pinch on the road or around the farm.

I had a few on my 817 that showed that wear after I hauled 111 loads...and they still were operating reliably (clearly ready to be replaced).

Good luck!

sandcobra164

I would recommend becoming friends with someone with an M939 base model truck. They often come on 11R20 Radials which the owners often ditch for some 14R20´s. You can find some pretty good deals. I know of one member on here who simply gave his nearly new G177´s to another member on here when he put the super singles on his M923. They came off of the 5 ton rims rather easily but getting the old NDTs to seperate from the Deuce wheels was quite a ¨Friend-Bonding¨ experience. To be fair, he did help me later on when I got a 5 ton of my own and decided I needed the super singles as well. After wrestling with the big tires, we surmised that we should ditch the trucks and start into the Go-Kart hobby. Our backs would likely thank us later on down the line. Just kidding, we´re still here!

drivebymashing

I dont know anyone in the area with any military vehicles unfortuneatly. I have never seen another military vehicle on the road around here.
I think i have enough 900s laying around to get 3 years.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Cranetruck and a few others have posted wear numbers for ndt/ndcc tires. I just looked through every thread Bjorn started, and it wasn't there, so he must have replied to someone else's thread.

Special T

Tires questions are aplication specific. While older tires generally give up the ghost quicker most tires last due to a few factors. Speed, load, air pressue, age, & if you have a spare with you and the tools to chanve it out yourself... Ive driven on 30 year old tires 35mph short trips empty with a spare and tools and had no issues. You milage may vary.

I believe its 1 1/2 in from center line you put a straight edge across the tire lugs, 1/8 in or more you are good to go.

my tires look like that after about 5000 miles, They go bald in front of your eyes

Special T

Use a penny head down. If you can see the top of his head its not legal for drives. I belive the commercial federal regulation is 4/32" steer tires 2/32 drive tires (penny check)

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those tires are getting tired. If you only use it offroad and it will no cause a major problem if it pops, then I would get my money out of it. I have ran them down to where one was bald on the rear. Most of the time I was empty and only had 35 psi in the rears. If you are not on road, I would keep using it. If you are not fully loaded all the time, I would look for tires and adjust your tire pressure accordingly. The more pressure it has, the easier it may be to puncture. That has been my experience anyway.

Last edited:

74M35A2

When I was a teen and putting $ into my car stereo and not safety items, my dad would say I wore the tires down until "the air was showing". I'll never forget it. He would take the keys until I put new shoes on it, then he didn't care what I did. Safety items were first with him, no matter how cool or not my stereo was. I had 15" subwoofers in the back hatch and could not see out the back, he could care less. Tires, brakes, lights, and wipers good? Go have a good time. Love you dad.

FloridaAKM

I have about 2500 or so miles on my original NDT's & they are starting to show wear, so looking @ that, it figures that probably 3500 to 4000 more miles will make them look like yours. They will be replaced before the wear indicators show a problem as traction & braking ability is a must in my comfort zone of safety for the Deuce!

Katavic918

Most of my tires are 2003's with 60% tread. I do have a pair of goodyears from 1987 that were 95% when I got them. I was Leary about using them at first but the nice thing about the rear is you have a backup right next to it. As far as your tire, it's done. But you may get another 1000 before belts start showing. I'd replace it.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a lot of difference between the rubber in the old tires and the current ones. Old tires like these will wear better and not fail as quickly as the newer tires we get now that I think they forgot to put honest old rubber into. No wonder a member here said about five years is maximum when the newer compound tires are crap compared to the old tires. Even with cracks in the old tires as long as the tire has nylon cord instead of rayon they will still last a long time. Nylon is not affected by moisture like rayon cord is. That is my old farmer rule of thumb about older tires on my equipment. I have a tire on a farm trailer that was on it when dad bought it 50 years ago. It is used around the farm only. I have had four of the newer tires on the other side, all shed the tread or cracked out and split, mostly just sitting in the shed. Now too another "improvement". They use a double compound on tires, one for the tread and another on the casing under the tread that is softer. You simply cannot wear these tires down to low tread because when it gets into the softer rubber in places around the tire they will not stay in balance. Planned obsolescence and profit level, more cheaply built shorter life product at a higher price I say!! Of course someone sits in an office and determines the average Joe wears out his tires in 3 to 5 years so they only build them to last that long. Now, does throwing away more tires make sense with the save the planet crowd?
The concept of having worn tires on the dual sets and not the steer axle is good. If one fails you are not stranded or having a bad time steering.
Regards Martin

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks