• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire upgrade suggestions ?

Mikei998

My tires on my hmmwv are spent and time to be replaced . Can I go bigger with out adding a lift? What’s a good tire to replace them with ? What do you guys recommend ?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
My tires on my hmmwv are spent and time to be replaced . Can I go bigger with out adding a lift? What’s a good tire to replace them with ? What do you guys recommend ?
You can clear 39s but they will rub some. There are several threads on tire choices. With a 16.5 in wheel your tire sizes and brands are limited. Some folks have opt'd to go to 17s and 20in wheels.

We have new Baja and MTRs listed in the classified ads.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Skrilex

Banned
What are those wheels offa ?
THese are 17” wheels off a mid 2000’s 2500/3500. They have a +43mm offset which is nice, and they are 8” wide. There is a website that shows all the specs for dodge wheels of this era so you can verify which ones will fit. Chevy wheels and older ford will fit too, but they don’t have as much offset of width which is important for me, as I was already pulling in the tires more than they’d like.

i got 8 of these rims and after easily selling the center caps on eBay for a lot more $ than I expected, I’m down to about 10$/rim for factory aluminum wheels. Can’t complain about that.

also, going from the 12bolt stock wheel tire combo to the 39” bfg with dodge wheels shaved a full 40lbs PER WHEEL! That’s 200lbs of unsprung weight I didn’t need.

Last edited:

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
THese are 17” wheels off a mid 2000’s 2500/3500. They have a +43mm offset which is nice, and they are 8” wide. There is a website that shows all the specs for dodge wheels of this era so you can verify which ones will fit. Chevy wheels and older ford will fit too, but they don’t have as much offset of width which is important for me, as I was already pulling in the tires more than they’d like.

i got 8 of these rims and after easily selling the center caps on eBay for a lot more $ than I expected, I’m down to about 10$/rim for factory aluminum wheels. Can’t complain about that.

also, going from the 12bolt stock wheel tire combo to the 39” bfg with dodge wheels shaved a full 40lbs PER WHEEL! That’s 200lbs of unsprung weight I didn’t need.
I thought modern GM wheels changed the bolt pattern, and wouldn't fit? Will a 2015 2500 gm wheel still work?

Last edited:

snowtrac nome

I remember a safety of use message coming out on super swamper use on hmmwv's pertaining to high failure rate on hmmwv's might have been related to the low tire pressures am general recommended. I tried that with bfg mud terrains on my chevy pu and had side all failures with in a year. if you are going to run tire pressure recommended by am general I would stick with the good year tires other wise use the recommended inflation pressures on the tire.

Skrilex

Banned
I thought modern GM wheels changed the bolt pattern, and wouldn't fit? Will a 2015 2500 gm wheel still work?
Looks like yes and no, maybe? Use this cross reference to determine.

https://www.roadkillcustoms.com/whe...6.5-wheel-bolt-pattern-8x165mm-8x6.50-inches/

so definitely some newer chevy will fit, but again the dodge has more positive offset and width which helps in our particular application.

https://www.hubcaphaven.com/c/359/dodge_ram_2500_wheels_rims.html

here’s a great reference for the dodge wheels.

Last edited:

mdes0

I run 39.5 IROK radials with a 2" body lift. I don't think they would have rubbed without the lift under normal circumstances but can't say for sure. I run 12 bolt wheels with Trail worthy fab inserts. Usually run about 25 to 30 lbs on the street and 15 off road. I also used 10 ounce bags of counteract balancing beads, which work great.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks