• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire valve stem adapter from CTIS to shrader?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a steel mrap rim with dual feed valve stems going to the mounted ctis valve. The valve has a broken fitting and will not hold air.

The stems have a small o-ring on the end, ferrule, and a threaded male nut. The ctis female elbow pipe connects to this and to the valve. I believe this is the same style valve stem on hemett wheels with ctis.

Is there a brass adapter that can convert the valve stem (not a big bore) to a regular valve?

I did not want to break down the tire to change the stems if possible.

I saw a post about tapping the inside and outside of the valve stem to convert to a regular valve but saw nothing else on my limited search skills?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking of some sort of flare female adapter to pipe then one of those but the threads and flare with o-ring does not look like anything I have worked with before?

Maybe the o-ring does not matter and just a flare adapter?

peashooter

Maybe this link will help. I cant really picture the valve stem your talking about but Treeguy has parts to convert these type as shown here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?112246-Valve-stems&p=1412625&viewfull=1#post1412625

If your valve stems are in questionable condition and you want to consider new ones then you could try the below options:
-Get new J-690 large bore valve stems that will work well for about $15.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...-replacement&p=1420368&viewfull=1#post1420368

Or you can get the 5 ton style that cost more (like $25-30) but they are standard bore. Part number 12301120 or VS-1090

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I attached a pic o the valve stem end and the same end on the tube going to the valve.

I will go to NAPA and try some fittings as it looks like the seat might be the same as some other fittings?

I also contacted hutchison tech support but have not received a reply yet.

Attachments

Excuse Me

I'll try this thread before I post a new and see what happens.
I have removed my ctis wheels from 931a2. I wish leave the wheels as is with the valve stems in place etc. However the wheel pipe that was hooked to the ctis hose does not take a standard civilian core. Or,... it does not use one of the usual cores like from an automobile. Is there a special core for this pipe, or some way to legally and safely cap this pipe so the wheel can be used without ctis, then if needed put back on the ctis equipped truck? I do not wish to have the cap removed by accident by someone not knowing there is no core and getting hurt. Even if the core is not functioning, but seals the air from escape would be fine as the other side of the wheel has a functioning stem with standard core. Thanks.

Last edited:

smittyjr355

I'll try this thread before I post a new and see what happens.
I have removed my ctis wheels from 931a2. I wish leave the wheels as is with the valve stems in place etc. However the wheel pipe that was hooked to the ctis hose does not take a standard civilian core. Or,... it does not use one of the usual cores like from an automobile. Is there a special core for this pipe, or some way to legally and safely cap this pipe so the wheel can be used without ctis, then if needed put back on the ctis equipped truck? I do not wish to have the cap removed by accident by someone not knowing there is no core and getting hurt. Even if the core is not functioning, but seals the air from escape would be fine as the other side of the wheel has a functioning stem with standard core. Thanks.
I would say you valve stem or your core has bad threads. I have taken off tons of these wheels and tires and used a regular core to replace where the ctis valve line was attached.

Excuse Me

And you are still able to use this pipe to fill the tire, or do you use it as a plug? Plug is fine with me, but it would sure be cool to use it to fill the tire as well. Thanks.

Excuse Me

Yeah it works same as regular valve stem. You can fill it or drain it like normal.
Got it. Thank you for the information. I went out and inspected the cores I was using and found that both of them had split seals. I found a box of some new ones that had not sat in the sun and they work fine. Thanks again.