• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire wear diagnosis help???

The outermost portion of the lugs on the outside of my front tires are chipping away and rounding off really quickly. I have a new pair of BFG AT 32's on my m1009. The truck has a slight pull right, nothing serious. I need advice on where to start on attacking this issue. I would really like to align it myself. I had seen a post about doing it right in your driveway in the past, but cant seem to find it. Is this a bad tie rod symptom? Sway bar bushings? I really need advice on this one. I dont even have a good jumping off point to use the TMs. Any advice on a coarse of action will be greatly appreciated.

Westech

CPL
If you cant figure it out really your better off taking it to your local auto repair shop. You can get a Repair manual (Chilton) or read up on the TM's. Outer tire ware means tow adjustment put pulling means caster or camber. You need to check all the parts.... Like I said get a repair manual or take it in.

OLDCHEV4X4

First thing I would do is check for broken or worn out parts.
Center link ends
upper and lower ball joints
drag link ends
front spring front bushings
front spring rear bushings (upper and lower)
check and adjust wheel bearings
check spindle for damage.

Also look for damage at the u bolts. If it took a hard hit at the axle, it might have sheared off a center pin and moved the axle.
Make sure your tire pressure is correct.
If all looks good, then check tow with a tape measure to see if its way off.

emr

A real front end shop is what u need, as for a pull to the right, is that when braking lightly on a FLAT road and letting go of wheel?? if so at least out of alignment . as usfull as this site is, I really think a front end diagnosis is not that hard, meaning it needs to be jacked up and all the basics done, like one guy looks for loose parts when other outside moving tire, tire wear is not a that part does that thing kinda thing ,well yes and no, if he does not know where to start its no , sorry just an fyi , there are always a few things at least it could be. good luck,

Last edited:

rnd-motorsports

:ditto:If you are not sure what to look for then find a good shop and let them look at it! a good shop will give a free est. and then you will know what is bad and needs to be changed with the price of parts you can throw a lot of money in to it and not fix the real problem. let them tell you what is bad have a couple of places look at if you like then if you are able replace parts yourself to save money then pay for alignment will be money well spent!

emr

Boy no matter how much we know there is always something we do not, :) ... that sure is some list, to be honest if it gets done I would be amazed... , I still say , like the post below mine, just makes sense to get an estimate and list of parts at a real front end shop, a place that does trucks, and some older biker lookin dude doin it :) ... just kiddin, well maybe not... :), U will learn from there, To start out green and a list like that well..., and that is a great list, i just think its a good start for U to understand your estimate better, ... good luck, or tow it there later ... :)

Westech

CPL
when you get replacement civy ball joints they come with a adjustable ring that goes in the upper spindle socket. If you want to chance it and leave the stock 0* ring in go for it. I have seen some that come out not needing adjustment and some that do. I have replaced 100's of 10 bolt ball joints over the years.

Attachments

Last edited:

rnd-motorsports

:ditto: was going to post the same thing but so many on here read something and think it is so. like the TM is never wrong! don't like to start an argument or ruffle feathers. So sometimes its better to just shut up and go on! Nobody even said anything like tire pressure being low will cause it to pull or even a bad shock will cause cupping of tire . Good luck with getting your trucks problem fixed!