• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire wear question?

Ive got new 32 11.5 15 BFG AT's on my M1009. I had an alignment soon thereafter when I noticed the outermost portion of the front tires really wearing quickly. The Driverside then seemed to resume normal wear, however the passengers side is now really wearing quickly. I noticed the long tie rod bar had some bend in it, but nothing drastic. Long story short, I need someone to point me in the right direction to diagnose and fix the wear on the passenger side front tire. What factors contribute?

Barrman

Do what is called a "dry park check." Have the vehicle on solid pavement, put somebody behind the wheel as you lay down under the front end. Have them move the wheel sharply back and forth while you put your hand on every single connection of the steering linkage. You can feel slop before you can hear it and you can hear it before you see it.

You will probably find the tie rod ends and drag link ends are worn.

Then, pick up the front axle. Push and pull on the top of each tire. Any slop you feel here should be traced to either the ball joints or bearings.

Finally, put a pry bar under the tire. Pointy side down. Pull up against the tire while watching the ball joints. There shouldn't be any vertical movement of the joints.

Replace all you find loose and then get it aligned by a good shop. How far are you from Alexandria? I know of two alignment shops in that town that are really good with real good techs. We went to alignment school together is how I know them.

WARWAG

Yikes! They didnt say anything about the bent tie rod? I also would bet other things have been neglected like Packing grease in the bearings ect ect over the years. You should check eveything our as described above but watch your fingers and where you put them. Good Luck.