• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tires, can it really be this hard??

tobyS

The 365/80r20 has a weight rating around 7,800 per tire. The G177 has a weight rating around 6,800. So with (4) 365's the total is 31,200 and with ( 8 G177's the total is 54,400.

edited: (8) to ( 8 )

(You just leave a space there)

Last edited by a moderator:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was refering to the wheels myself in my post.
... but then you were talking about tires in all three posts!?
Still the military never used 395's on a deuce did they Gerhard ?
Correct. Except for the S&S 2-1/2" ton truck (4x4 FMTV) which would be what, the latest model Deuce?

The 43"-diameter, wide based 14.5R20 (later 365/80R20) was the most logical option to replace the skinny 11.00R20 radials - which already was an important upgrade compared to the bias-ply 11.00-20's used on the M-34.
But let him use what he wants after all it's only lives where talking about here and the cool factor far outways anything else.
Your sarcasm is out of place here. And no-one had even mentioned the "cool factor"...

Reread post #31: his concern is about the reduced space or gap left in between the rear tires when going to larger sizes.
We know that other FD's have switched their M35A3's to 395's, but in this case he'd better stay with the smaller 365/85R20 XZL- if they can be had, new and low- or no- cost. These tires are Load Range J (11.000 lbs @ 115 psi), so I say they are safe enough to use for this purpose, even if these are not the typically soft riding MPT-tires and not a perfect match for the existing A3 wheels.

G.

Last edited:

tobyS

Actually I did mention "cool" (at the end of a paragraph)... to indicate I like the G177's. But it wasn't the reason I like the G177 option. It was for weight capacity and stability.

Personally, on a hillside maneuvering a loaded water tank, I would want the stability of the duels. More area on the ground spread out and a slightly wider rear footprint. Snaking through a woods may be a different issue.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A note regarding load capacity off-road:

m49 off-road config.jpg
This is from the FM 10-69 TM, which covers petroleum, but the same must apply to the water tanker (M50).

Also, I would highly recommend using chains off-road, mine was virtually unstoppable with the 1100-20 bias ply tires and chains.
Sideslopes can be a problem with open diffs when traction is lost on the uphill side.

David too bad we wern't nearer to eachother. I have a set of M35A3 tires i am looking to sell. If we were closer I may have been able to help you out. Good luck metalworker393