• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tires going flat left and right, can they be repaired

tauteur

This is the third tire in 6 months that's gone flat. They are cracking. Can a crack like this be repaired with fix a flat? I'm up in the Tehachapi mountains and we do hit some rocks now and then but damn this is supposed to be a war machine.
hmwv tire.jpg

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
fix a flat is a temporary repair.

I've had good luck with garden tractor tires using tire slime (50 year old tires with lots of cracking)

Once they start cracking the sidewalls though, they shouldn't be run on road. Too much risk/liability.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
This is the third tire in 6 months that's gone flat. They are cracking. Can a crack like this be repaired with fix a flat? I'm up in the Tehachapi mountains and we do hit some rocks now and then but damn this is supposed to be a war machine.
View attachment 886626
Got to ask... What's the date code?

Old truck? Old tires? Good old times, CAMO

papakb

The sidewalls on these tires is really soft and the tires coming out of NTC there at Fort Irwin are notorious for desert thorn punctures. The tires look great and have plenty of tread left on them but unless the puncture is fixed correctly they'll continue to leak. The other issue is how long have they sat in the Mojave heat baking the flexibility out of them before you got them? Once they've aged enough those thorn holes will start to split and at that point the only good repair is replacement. While their use in the desert isnt't that critical because of the low speeds involved, do you want to bet your life on them on the freeway?

Hope to see you at Plymouth.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trusting old tires is not worth your or other drivers safety. You REALLY need to replace them with new tires.

The original style Goodyear Wrangler MT are available again, just have to special order them through a tire store with a goodyear commercial account.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks