• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tires/wheels

Terracoma

I hate to ask a remedial question, but can you put the tire dementions in the metric so I can compare them apples to apples? What I plan to have mounted on Monday are 265 75r 16.
There are several tire size calculators on the internet to help compare sizes, I prefer this one here.

Should help with comparing sizes very quickly to see their differences.

Now, I don't have too firm of a grasp on what each number represents, but I understand that the 265 is the height, 75 is the tread width, and 16, I think, is the rim size. What doesnt translate for me is the 37x12x16 and the like. I guess that is just in standard units instead of metric. Do I just convert? Maybe I just answered my own question. Duh.
The standard sizes follow the same convention as the metric sizes: 37x12.5x16 = 37" diameter, 12.5" tread width, and a 16" wheel size.

The '265' number is actually how wide the tire is, and the '75' is an expression of the sidewall height based on a percentage of the tread width. I think it's called the 'aspect ratio' or something like that. In your case, the sidewall height is 265mm times 0.75, or 198.75mm. To get a standard number in inches from the metric size (or vice versa), simply convert back and forth using using: 25.4mm = 1" ... So to figure out the overall tire diameter, it's a little convoluted, but can be done:

= 2 x (Sidewall Height) + (Wheel Diameter)
= 2 x (Tread Width x Aspect) + (Wheel Diameter)
= 2 x (265mm x 75%) + (16")
= 2 x (265mm x 0.75) + (16")
= 2 x (198.75mm) + (16")
= 2 x (198.75mm / 25.4) + (16")
= 2 x (7.825") + (16")
= (15.650") + (16")

= 31.650"

Clear as mud?

:mrgreen:

beans86cucv

gigabelly: i wish i could help you convert the info, about all i know is the as what steved454 posted, 305=33" and 315=35 and thats only because the tires that were on it when i bought it were 35".

Matt65

For the price the Hummer radials are hard to beat. I gave $75/pc for like new tires, $50/set of 4 GM factory 16.5 wheels and have been very pleased with the setup.

gigabelly

Just put on the new Goodyear wrangler duraTrac MT. What a GiFrigginNormous difference. Rides smooth now. Stops without the death rattle now. No more getting stuck in wet grass now. My last tires were terrible, apparently. Pretty dang happy about it. I tried to express my joy to my wife, to which she said something along the lines of....that's nice dear.... So, I express my joy here, amongst the brethren. Whippeee! Ok, I'm better now.

Smokingman

Just put on the new Goodyear wrangler duraTrac MT. What a GiFrigginNormous difference. Rides smooth now. Stops without the death rattle now. No more getting stuck in wet grass now. My last tires were terrible, apparently. Pretty dang happy about it. I tried to express my joy to my wife, to which she said something along the lines of....that's nice dear.... So, I express my joy here, amongst the brethren. Whippeee! Ok, I'm better now.
What size did you end up putting on?

Tanner

For the price the Hummer radials are hard to beat. I gave $75/pc for like new tires, $50/set of 4 GM factory 16.5 wheels and have been very pleased with the setup.
Check the date codes on the Hummer tires - some are reporting that the tires are quite old & have had cracking issues...

I've read that the military dumps them out onto 'open market' after the date codes are ~5 years old or so... would like this confirmed.

'Tanner'

Tanner

trail worthy is 244 for a custom bead lock rim with rock ring and tire cheaper than Mtr
As long as you remember that the 'cheap' 8-bolt rims are for bias-ply tires ONLY... the 8-bolt rims do not have the proper bead angle for radial tires and are not designed to support the loads to the rim that radial sidewalls transmit.

The 8-bolt HMMWV rims are sold cheap because they can develop cracks in the lockring (and many have) due to weight loading. And cheap on the market because of being designed for bias tires -

AMG redesigned the rims to a stronger 12-bolt pattern when the change to radials occurred on HMMWV's. And eventually went to 24-bolt rims for the up-armored HMMWV's -

Additional info: 8 bolt rims: Do not go over 30 PSI EVER. The 8 bolts are for the lightweights HMMWV (old ones). Besides the pressure limit: If you air up an 8 bolt on the hub, and the bolts do let go, it will smack you. The wheel is held on by the inboard half. The 12 bolts are much safer: the outboard half is bolted on the hub, if the bolts were to let go, the wheels goes towards the truck. The 8 bolt rims are rated to 30 psi max and the 12 bolts are 50 psi, IIRC

'Tanner'

Last edited:

truck1

Tanner,this is true.Some surplus humvee tires have deteriorated sidewalls that are not safe to use.If you buy them sight unseen,deal with a reputable dealer.The first set of 4 I bought I picked them myself.When I got home and cleaned them,I discovered 1 was badly cracked @ the sidewall, and useless!The next set I purchased online were in almost new condition!They were a great buy and a great all around tire.Buyer beware!:shock:

Tanner

Tanner,this is true.Some surplus humvee tires have deteriorated sidewalls that are not safe to use.If you buy them sight unseen,deal with a reputable dealer.The first set of 4 I bought I picked them myself.When I got home and cleaned them,I discovered 1 was badly cracked @ the sidewall, and useless!The next set I purchased online were in almost new condition!They were a great buy and a great all around tire.Buyer beware!:shock:
My main issue is with people using a mentality of 'the radial will mount onto the 8-bolt rim, so it must be okay to do it' - wrong mentality, Period.

The engineers that designed it know more than the layman that 'makes it work'... it might physically mount the tire on the rim, but doing so may get you on a YouTube video, or a trip to the hospital or morgue. But the upside is that it thins the gene pool.

3.... 2..... 1.... now the comments will come in from users that have used radials on 8-bolt rims for 18 years and had zero issues. Always happens, and because they post, it means that they know more than the engineers that designed the wheels & tires to work together -

Do it right, or don't do it at all.

'Tanner'

Cucvnut

As long as you remember that the 'cheap' 8-bolt rims are for bias-ply tires ONLY... the 8-bolt rims do not have the proper bead angle for radial tires and are not designed to support the loads to the rim that radial sidewalls transmit.

The 8-bolt HMMWV rims are sold cheap because they can develop cracks in the lockring (and many have) due to weight loading. And cheap on the market because of being designed for bias tires -

AMG redesigned the rims to a stronger 12-bolt pattern when the change to radials occurred on HMMWV's. And eventually went to 24-bolt rims for the up-armored HMMWV's -

Additional info: 8 bolt rims: Do not go over 30 PSI EVER. The 8 bolts are for the lightweights HMMWV (old ones). Besides the pressure limit: If you air up an 8 bolt on the hub, and the bolts do let go, it will smack you. The wheel is held on by the inboard half. The 12 bolts are much safer: the outboard half is bolted on the hub, if the bolts were to let go, the wheels goes towards the truck. The 8 bolt rims are rated to 30 psi max and the 12 bolts are 50 psi, IIRC

'Tanner'
um not so sure about that.

the only reason the mil went to a 12 bolt over an 8 bolt was because some of the humvees were pushing 18,000#'s running weight. They then went to a 24 bolt because they now are pushing some over 20,000#'s running weight.

406 YJ

As the owner of TrailWorthyFab and having sold well over 10,000 hummer wheels and tires in the past few years i am going to rain on some of what has been said about the hummer wheels.

8 bolt Vs 12 bolt wheels and running radial tires does not effect one thing. The only reason they went to an 8 bolt wheel from a 12 bolt wheel was the fact that the Humvee's almost double in weight, by adding deck guns, full armor. The orig. 8 bolt wheel came stock with a mag runflat and a 36" bias ply tire. The reason the 8 bolt wheel catches slack is the fact that there haven't been any new 36" bias ply tires made for the hummers in years. So.... Unless that tire has been kept inside there is a great chance of getting tires with cracks in them, due to age. While there is a wheel design change between the 8 and 12 bolt. When a wheel is recentered at that point they are almost the same by design.

Example: If you cut the wheel mounting surface WMS out of a STOCK 12 bolt wheel which is on what we call the outer or the dish. You then weld the new center into the back half of the wheel or what we call the shell. At that point your WMS is on the back half of the wheel and the outer is nothing more than a ring that you can weld in a rock ring to. (Stock 12 bolt wheels had rubber runflats and Radial 37" Goodyear MT's)

On an 8 bolt wheel the WMS is on the back half of the wheel or the "shell". That center is cut out and the new center is welded into the back half of the wheel (same as you do on a 12 bolt). There is then the stock outer ring, where a rock ring can be welded in. (8 bolt wheels had 36" Goodyear BIAS ply tires and Mag runflats)

Now.... There are 24 bolt wheels. I do not stock these as IMHO there is no need for 24 bolts on a wheel. It is setting yourself up to have to mess up more bolt and they take longer to put together. (24 bolts have BFG Baha TA's and rubber runflats)

We can talk about engineered products, however. When a wheel is recentered and the aftermarket center is thicker than the stock center that is cut out the wheel rateing goes out the window. Our recentered wheels are stronger than stock wheels.

I would be more than happy to answer any other questions that anyone might have. I like the chance to keep people in the loop, from someone that deals with this stuff every day. :beer:

406 YJ

dont go by written tire size they almost all lie .ive seen 37s only 34" tall .its best to measure the tires if you can.

While this is true, not so much with mil tires. They do not measure any less than 1" of what they are listed. I have had boggers, TSL's and Iroks that measure as much as 4" less (on a set of 49" Iroks that were new).

The Baja TA's are a Killer tire and measure almost 37" tall. The MT's measure around 36 and the 36" bias tires (I only have around 20 of these that are 99%) are 35.75". So the Military tires are not very far off. Pitbull is one of the only tire manufacturers that we have found that measure out at what they say their tires are. Wheel width can play into this. If you mount a set of 35' tires up on a 12" wide wheel there is a good chance you will end up with a 33" tire.

jimmy-90

Im running 34X10.50-16 supper swamper LTB's on my M1028. They fit the stock wheels and didn't require a lift or fender trimming. I mounted them at my house myself and didn't bother balancing them. They seem to do fine that way. They are bias ply tires and do sing a little bit at 50 mph but it's not nearly as bad as wider swampers i've ran on other trucks. My avatar at the left is a pic of my truck with the swamper LTB's on it. Also the actual size of the tires is about 33.5" tall.

Tanner

As the owner of TrailWorthyFab and having sold well over 10,000 hummer wheels and tires in the past few years i am going to rain on some of what has been said about the hummer wheels.

8 bolt Vs 12 bolt wheels and running radial tires does not effect one thing. The only reason they went to an 8 bolt wheel from a 12 bolt wheel was the fact that the Humvee's almost double in weight, by adding deck guns, full armor. The orig. 8 bolt wheel came stock with a mag runflat and a 36" bias ply tire. The reason the 8 bolt wheel catches slack is the fact that there haven't been any new 36" bias ply tires made for the hummers in years. So.... Unless that tire has been kept inside there is a great chance of getting tires with cracks in them, due to age. While there is a wheel design change between the 8 and 12 bolt. When a wheel is recentered at that point they are almost the same by design.

Example: If you cut the wheel mounting surface WMS out of a STOCK 12 bolt wheel which is on what we call the outer or the dish. You then weld the new center into the back half of the wheel or what we call the shell. At that point your WMS is on the back half of the wheel and the outer is nothing more than a ring that you can weld in a rock ring to. (Stock 12 bolt wheels had rubber runflats and Radial 37" Goodyear MT's)

On an 8 bolt wheel the WMS is on the back half of the wheel or the "shell". That center is cut out and the new center is welded into the back half of the wheel (same as you do on a 12 bolt). There is then the stock outer ring, where a rock ring can be welded in. (8 bolt wheels had 36" Goodyear BIAS ply tires and Mag runflats)

Now.... There are 24 bolt wheels. I do not stock these as IMHO there is no need for 24 bolts on a wheel. It is setting yourself up to have to mess up more bolt and they take longer to put together. (24 bolts have BFG Baha TA's and rubber runflats)

We can talk about engineered products, however. When a wheel is recentered and the aftermarket center is thicker than the stock center that is cut out the wheel rateing goes out the window. Our recentered wheels are stronger than stock wheels.

I would be more than happy to answer any other questions that anyone might have. I like the chance to keep people in the loop, from someone that deals with this stuff every day. :beer:
Appreciate your input - I'll stand behind what the tire and rim designers and manufacturers say... Bias tire beads require a different rim angle.

'Tanner'

406 YJ

Appreciate your input - I'll stand behind what the tire and rim designers and manufacturers say... Bias tire beads require a different rim angle.

'Tanner'

Tanner the only difference between the two is the insert. Let me bust it down for you.

An 8 bolt wheel had a MAG RUNFLAT a 36" bias ply tire

So... For that wheel to hold a radial, guess what needs to change??

THE INSERT! The width of the insert that is...

Because we know this business and our tires we know what size tires require which inserts. We ditch the stock runflats and we machine PVC inserts

Why do some people think that one wheel will not hold one tire? OK... I will not keep you waiting. The insert. If you have a radial tire and try and use a mag runflat in it that was orig used for a bias ply tire you will not have good luck. Why..... The insert was not made for that tire, not because some guy hides behind some angle of the wheel theory. I would love to see where you are getting your info.

I love learning new things but do not like to see someone spread things that are not true.

Last edited: