• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tires

Melissawebb01

I have a question.
Any recommendations on military/civi tires for M1008.
I have 235/85/r16 on it now, truck has a 2 inch lift.
Looking for a better tire/ more highway speed.
Any help appreciated

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
BFG has a KM2 255/85R16 that is a pretty nice tire. A couple of inches taller than what you have and fits stock wheels if you like them. Not a great pic but here is what they look like on my torch cart with no lift.

Attachments

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My personal opinion on BFG's, is they are way overpriced and don't hold up all that well for the long haul. I have had them in all terrains and mud terrains on my diesel pickups in the past. Almost any tire shop will have a wide selection of options for you to pick. Personally I prefer hankook tires, they hold up very well and are a fair price. Just whatever you get, go with a 10 ply. Another sub par tire I would never recommend are Cooper brand tires, they are absolute junk in my previous purchases.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love the Wrangler Authority from Wal Mart. I put 265's on my truck and they have incredible traction.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My personal opinion on BFG's, is they are way overpriced and don't hold up all that well for the long haul. I have had them in all terrains and mud terrains on my diesel pickups in the past. Almost any tire shop will have a wide selection of options for you to pick. Personally I prefer hankook tires, they hold up very well and are a fair price. Just whatever you get, go with a 10 ply. Another sub par tire I would never recommend are Cooper brand tires, they are absolute junk in my previous purchases.
Perhaps you are thinking of another size or brand. BFG never made a 255/85R16 in all terrain. These are load range E and have quite good reviews. My first set came from Amazon. 4 wheel parts has the best price these days.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NDT
Thanks for the thought. with a 2 inch lift what size do you think I can run without rubbing on fender. Any ideas
Sorry I am not qualified to answer that. Somewhere on this forum is your answer. Hopefully some of the more experienced guys will chime in.

richingalveston

with two inches of lift you can run a 34 but not a 35 with no rub. the 35 will rub like a 33 does on stock truck. 35's will work on 2 inch lift but may rub slightly depending on tire width, the narrower the taller you can run.

the above is true when using stock rims. You change the rim and back spacing then all things can change.
The rub point problems for the tires are the frame rail, the back of the inner fender or the outer lip of the fender that hangs the lowest.
The further you push the tires out the more problems you have with the outer lip and thus the taller you have to go.

to get to 37's you need 4 inch lift and some trimming on the outer lip of the fenders.

Your question does not have a real standard answer.

I have 5 inch lift and run 39's but they are only 11 wide so they stay inside the outer fender lip and stuff into the fenders. If they were 12.5 wide I would need at least 7 inches of lift or I would have to trim the outer lip of the fender in the center at the top and that is hard to make look good.

CUCVLOVER

I love my federal couragiers in 285-75-r16. They dig great in the mud and hold the road well.
My dad runs 265-75-r16 bfg all terrain TA ko2 on his 2000 Chevy 3500. He was getting about 60k out of them, and that is will hard use. He pulled trailers almost daily, gooseneck and bumper pull. Pulled camprs and boats on the weekend. They are great tires, and pull in the mud even when they only have the little outside lugs.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

cucvrus

I run the LT23585/R16 Goodyear Duratraks on the M1008/M1028's that I use as plow trucks. I seldom get more then 20 K out of a new set. But these vehicles are run under severe conditions. So every 18 months i need a set of tires. Less expensive then truck payments on a heavy duty pickup that gets run super hard. I just put new ones on Big Red and the Gray Ghost truck. Both CUCV's are used for off road on road pushing pulling and plowing snow. I run 31 10.50/R15 Goodyear Wrangler MTR's Kevlar on my M1009's. Great tires and have awesome traction. It was the look I wanted and I can go anywhere I want and NEVER make any body contact with the tires. Everything is stock except all new stock size springs and all the bushings are Energy Suspension. Used hard and has not failed me to date. 20+ years of private ownership and use and haven't done any mod's to my own vehicles. I will post pictures later.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whatever you chose I recommend the "E" rated tire.
I have Michelins on all my stuff.
Once this set that came with truck is done I will go with Michelin A/T. Have that tire on all my trucks.
The M1008 came with a brand new set of BF Goodrich commercial T/As so it might be a while.

Special T

Bfg is owned by Michelin. A 235 is roughly 31.5"od and a 255 is roughly 33" od. Both are designed to run on stock width wheels for dually application. Eveyone seems to have thier farorite flavor of tire but I would second the load range E recomendation. Anytime you run a tire at less than max capacity they wear and last longer.