• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tires

nm190

I've got this 5quad with 16,5 inch rims, and i'm finding it impossible to get tires in Norway, is it possible to run this truck on 16-inch ones?
Oooor, are the brakedrums too big?

nm190

I sorry I am unfamilar the term 5quad, hoverver Chevy cucv came 16" rims the dodge came with 16.5.
5quad is/was the canadian term for the 76' army chevypickup.
It's body looks the same as the american ones except for the headlights, but the setup is a little bit different: 350 V8 gasoline, TH350 gearbox, np203 transfer, dana 44 infront and GM 14bolt rear.

What i'm trying to find out is if 16inch rims will fit, it'll make my search for wheels over here ALOT easier.
Most of the offroaders in Norway drive "china"-pickups w 15'' rims.

I believe 16'' ones will be possible to use, but it might be a tight squeese with the rear brakedrums, the snow and mud will have nowhere to escape..

67_C-30

5quad is/was the canadian term for the 76' army chevypickup.
It's body looks the same as the american ones except for the headlights, but the setup is a little bit different: 350 V8 gasoline, TH350 gearbox, np203 transfer, dana 44 infront and GM 14bolt rear.

What i'm trying to find out is if 16inch rims will fit, it'll make my search for wheels over here ALOT easier.
Most of the offroaders in Norway drive "china"-pickups w 15'' rims.

I believe 16'' ones will be possible to use, but it might be a tight squeese with the rear brakedrums, the snow and mud will have nowhere to escape..

I'd like to see some pics of that truck. It sounds cool!

67_C-30

Very cool! I never knew those trucks were bought by the government. They are basically the same in appearance as the 81 - up trucks from the cab back, but the fenders, hood, inner fenders, radiator support are all slightly different. The cab is different as well, mainly because the hood hinges come from the firewall, where the your truck's hinges are bolted to the fenders. The later trucks also have a separate cowl grill in front of the hood, where your hood goes all the way to the windshield. I actuallly prefer the look of the older ones, especially in shiny civilian versions!

Last edited:

OL AG '89

Do a "test fit" find a 16" rim and bolt it on.....
I would think they should be o.k.
I would be wary of installing a 16" tire on a 16.5" rim, as a matter of fact I think a reputable tire shop would refused based on liabilty of imminent failure......
I wouldn't want to be blasting through mud, snow or wahatever and suddenly have a tire fly off rim....:shock:

Croatan_Kid

They'll fit, it's only a 13" brake drum and that's for a full 1-ton rear, 3/4s have slightly smaller drums. All of the American purchased M1008s came with 16" rims. 15" rims will fit over the rear drums too, but not over the front calipers on a 1-ton, on a 3/4 ton they fit, but 15" 8-lug rims aren't all that common.

In short, yes, 16 inch rims will fit with no problems.