• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

TIS the time of year for dryer service....

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well this one is the Haldex PURest dryer on my 2008 A1R. Service takes about 10 minutes. You drain the air tanks, remove the 4 cover bolts, and pull the filter housing off. The filter turns 45 degrees and pops out of the housing. You clean everything, lube up the new o-ring and the one in the center of the filter and bolt it back to the dryer. It's extremely easy.

I get the filters from my commercial account with NAPA. They are about $5 cheaper than the best price I can find online that isn't a chinese knock off. The filter comes with detailed instructions also.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well this one is the Haldex PURest dryer on my 2008 A1R. Service takes about 10 minutes. You drain the air tanks, remove the 4 cover bolts, and pull the filter housing off. The filter turns 45 degrees and pops out of the housing. You clean everything, lube up the new o-ring and the one in the center of the filter and bolt it back to the dryer. It's extremely easy.

I get the filters from my commercial account with NAPA. They are about $5 cheaper than the best price I can find online that isn't a chinese knock off. The filter comes with detailed instructions also.
Instructions are pretty wonderful the first time you see them in the box!

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The filter is a desiccant cartridge and is sealed/consumable. The cartridge (this is only for the PURest dryer used on later A1's) is a Haldex DQ6050.

All the parts are listed in the FMTV parts spreadsheet stickied at the top of this subforum.

coachgeo

I have a 2003 M1079A1 and I upgraded the drier a couple years ago. Thanks for the info. Also I’ve been on this forum for7 years a didn’t know about that parts spread sheet. Very nice to have, we myself included need to add to the part # as it’s missing a lot.
so the link in the sticky is working again? (not in position to check the sticky link)

Third From Texas

The filter is a desiccant cartridge and is sealed/consumable. The cartridge (this is only for the PURest dryer used on later A1's) is a Haldex DQ6050.

All the parts are listed in the FMTV parts spreadsheet stickied at the top of this subforum.
Surprised that I've never found a Chinese knockoff of these filters. At $200 a pop there certainly should be.

I live in a highly humid environment, but I've only replaced mine once in three years. I even considered swapping to the old style so I could clean/re-use.

Yeah, I'm cheap. Actually, I got forced retirement on a medical and live on a poverty-level fixed income (I got what should have been the last/best 20 years of my career yanked out from under me). I should have taken up a cheaper hobby. LOL

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Surprised that I've never found a Chinese knockoff of these filters. At $200 a pop there certainly should be.

I live in a highly humid environment, but I've only replaced mine once in three years. I even considered swapping to the old style so I could clean/re-use.

Yeah, I'm cheap. Actually, I got forced retirement on a medical and live on a poverty-level fixed income (I got what should have been the last/best 20 years of my career yanked out from under me). I should have taken up a cheaper hobby. LOL
The original cartridge was still on my truck from 2008 when I got it (did not know this). Mind you it only had 2750 miles on it. It destroyed my compressor around 5800 miles on the odometer driving from Texas to Portland. The backpressure from the cartridge caused the compressor to overheat and the reed valves broke into multiple pieces - several of which dropped into one of the cylinders and punched a hole through a piston. The compressor was unable to make air, and when it was running it was also pumping air into the engine crankcase through the hole in the piston causing a large amount of oil to be expelled via the crankcase breather tube. Made quite the mess. Almost stranded me 100 miles from my shop but it did make it home before it completely blew up a few days later.

That compressor is $1900 new. I got a rebuildable core for $250, and the rebuild through a local place was $450. I did do the HEUI pump pre-filter upgrade while I had it apart but my truck was down for about 5 weeks.

I'll take the $139 dryer cartridge annually over that experience any day. There's "cheap", and there's "stuck on the side of the road cheap"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks