• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Title Drama

Earth

In VT, all that is needed is a receipt. They don't even issue titles for anything over 15 years. There is no hassle when you register. So, I didn't pay extra for paperwork I don't need. That surely doesn't make me into some kind of scoundrel. If someone is flipping trucks to make a buck, then they ought to get a title, but please remember that all non-titled mvs aren't necessarily "problems" and all sellers of non-titled mvs aren't scoundrels.

As to value, your call. Someone said "too much for a GL truck." Remember, they all are GL trucks (except a tiny trickle from GSA). You can find plenty for less and plenty for more out there.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Earth:
You make some very valid points from your State's perspective. We MUST however remember from Post #1 of this Thread, that the problem at hand is in Florida. While there has already been comment from, and about, several other states, only a "Florida Solution" should matter here.

Otherwise:

As I previously commented, I would RUN. I have offered no "Texas Advice" since it would certainly not be beneficial toward a resolution of the FLORIDA PROBLEM initially posted here.

While circumventing Florida law by cloaking the purchase as a NewYork transaction may sound "quick and easy", I would rather do the "right things right" rather than doing either - the right things wrong -OR- the wrong things right. (Read that last line a few times and it will make sense.) If the truck will be owned/used/garaged etc in Florida, that IMHO Florida's laws should govern. Participants in this hobby need to maintain a reputation of being upstanding citizens - Please consider this when choosing your "Final Answer".

Again, just my 2cents without any intentional nor implied malice.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
James, I would back away from this deal. Forty-five hundred dollars is a lot of cash for so many un-knowns! You can pick up a good GL truck for less (and know just as much about it as you know about this one). There are, and will be, other trucks that are just as nice or nicer, and with a title!
By the way, do you have any pictures of this truck? Post them if you do.

The Janiter

This hobby is and will always be for "Fun" but we could loose that if enough try to take short cuts just to get something for themselfs quick.

Titles are titles they say I own this item.

Ways to cut out the right way to do the "proper" paper work will eventuly stop all of us.

Quick buck people will be with us forever.

I want it now - will also be with us.

As hobbest we do not have to contribute to this mentality.

Some things never change.

Michael

goldneagle

In VT, all that is needed is a receipt. They don't even issue titles for anything over 15 years. There is no hassle when you register. So, I didn't pay extra for paperwork I don't need. That surely doesn't make me into some kind of scoundrel. If someone is flipping trucks to make a buck, then they ought to get a title, but please remember that all non-titled mvs aren't necessarily "problems" and all sellers of non-titled mvs aren't scoundrels.

As to value, your call. Someone said "too much for a GL truck." Remember, they all are GL trucks (except a tiny trickle from GSA). You can find plenty for less and plenty for more out there.
You missed the whole point! If VT does not title vehicles over 15 years old , then how can he transfer a non-existanty title from VT to FL? He is not a VT resident so he can't keep the VT tags living in FL! Most states require you to get LOCAL registration once you live there a certain period of time. I had to do that once I moved to LA.

stumps

Most states will accept an out of state registration in your name as proof of ownership when a title is not available. Doesn't help in all situations, but it does when you move from a non-title state to a title state.

-Chuck

BigjeepTX

Dont do it! Here I sit 60 days later after submitting the SF97 to Texas and it was "Title rejected" seems the CUCV's are coming up as GM cars of a newer vintage. I re-submitted VIN pencilings and color photos to get the title released on my Blazer. Now I have nothing no SF97 no title just a receipt from Texas saying I paid tax. I will NEVER buy another MV without a current title to the state I live in. Project is at a standstill until I get the title.

Bigjeep:evil:

Earth

No I didn't miss the point at all. I'm not offering advice on what to do in another state, or suggesting any shady ways around things.. I'm merely commenting on what seems to be instant condemnation of a non-titled vehicle and the seller of said vehicle. Titles aren't an issue here, and they aren't an issue in some other states. They are a big problem elsewhere. If you can't register a truck in FLA because it has no title then you'll have to move to VT, or find another truck.

JamesM

Hey guys,

I appreciate all the input! This is BY FAR THE BEST FORUM I HAVE EVER POSTED IN.

In accordance with all of your advice and helpful information, I have decided that it is best to pass on this one. It never even crossed my mind that the truck could have leans on it or could be stolen...I was just under the impression that he was too lazy to follow up with the paperwork. I was blinded by love, as they say. lol

Another member on here PM'd me today with some information on one of his trucks that is for sale and he has a clean and clear FL title for it!!! :razz:

I am going to be emailing with him and will hopefully come home with his truck and that will kick off my MV hobby on a good title-drama-free note.

This gentleman is a lot less "shady" with the information and even offered to meet me halfway from my house and his so I can look at the truck.

I will keep you updated with the progress of the purchase. Thanks again for all of your help...I really appreciate the rescue!!!

---James

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the above post is one of the many reasons that SS is so great, we all look out for each other

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
RUN, do not walk, do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars!!!!!
In this day and age you must be brain dead to fall for the no title deal,, unless you have a title and data plate stashed like some do, and that will get you in deep doo doo should you have a major accident. Pay the extra $$200-300 and get a title or just throw the dice and buy from GL. The days of getting titles from International title are over guys. You can get them from some states but you need to get your bond and drive it so the MVA or get a LEO to verify it. here in MD you need to take it to the MVA.

G-Force

As soon as you get the title from NY and then turn around and register it in Fl where the truck is actually located, when they put the VIN in the computer system anything that is wrong with that truck title wise will rear its ugly head........buyer beware.....

dobyg75

Yes, true....oh so true. Each state has their own way of doing things. Here in PA without a title, or an SF97 in YOUR name you are screwed. However, I live 5 miles south of the NY line and know how New York does things. New York is one of the nice states. Bill of sale is all you need.

So, if you know someone in NY you could have it bought in their name. They could register it. End up with a NY title which you could then change over to FL title in your name. Little bit of a run around. But it doesn't cost anywhere near the same as if you used one of the Title companies.

Any of you NY guys can add or correct me on this if I don't have it right.
Thats how NH is

JamesM

I didn't think that there would be a problem with the title from NY...never even crossed my mind. lol

But I do think that I have found another truck...

I am just waiting for some pictures and then we are going to meet and and hopefully I'll come home with a truck with a clean an clear FL title!

---James

Bretsuaz48

Even with a title you have to be careful. I know someone who bought a car only to find out it had a mechanics lien on it and it could not be re-titled. Of course the seller already had their money and and basically said too bad.

area52

Also check your state to see if you can do a title bond. Basically a bond against a title coming up ever again.

I refuse to pay GL any more money for a piece of paper I should get by law with the truck.

So I got a vin verification from the State Police then a $50 title bond from Allstate insurance along with a bill of sale and calmly explained to the ladies at the Motor Vehicle office that yes, this was legal and walked out with a NM title.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks