• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Title info for new trailers

hvydee

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys, I finally picked up my two M101 trailers from Anniston. Really nice shape, my question is: should I paid for the SF97 from Gov't Liq. in order to title and tag these trailers in Georgia. I tried calling the DMV here and I get conflicting comments.
What do you all think..........

jimbob1111

I just tagged 2 M101A2's and a M116A3 in GA.
It was much easier than I figured, they even used the numbers on the frame tags, my paperwork is very different, paperwork on one even had the "NSN" number as the ID number. :confused: , the paperwork on 2 of them didn't even state the year or maker.
I planned on selling at least one of them, I figured they would sell better with a tag vs no tag.
BTW there was no way they would issue a title without giving them a title.
Unless your in a state that GL gives a title directly to you, you might be outta luck. I've had to get bonded titles even with SF97's on trucks.
This is my first trailer tag experience.
I work nights, so off to work now.

hvydee

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It sounds like I spent $120 for nothing. The girl at GL said that they were going to use the 4 digit serial number for a VIN. She assured me the DMV would accept that. Other than that I'm still waiting for the SF-97's. I might send a PM to find out about your experience here in Georgia getting that title..aua..thanks for the reply.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I won an A2 and A3 trailer and registered them at Dmv One had 4 digits and other had 3 digits. The 3 digit was found to be used already, so Dmv attached there Vin # plate.
Greg

yellowrubicon

I just picked up my M101A2 and my M116A2E today. Towed my M101 to the Virginia DMV and asked about getting a title and plates for it. They were clueless for a while but told me that I could fill out an "Affidavit in Lieu of Title Certificate" form. Form VSA 12. This would seem to be the route to take but they wanted to see a bill of sale with an actual signature, not just a stamped "paid in full" internet receipt. To avoid any further hassle, I just got GL to send me a SF-97 for both trailers. They said to expect 30 days for them to arrive. After waiting for 11 weeks for GL and Battle Creek to approve me what is another 30 days, right?

ptg530C

Get a weight slip and have them tagged as "homebuilt". If the trailers are heavy like the 2 1/2T's take everything that you can off before you hit the scale. In Michigan- no problem.
By the way, if you do have a problem, have someone title it in Mi. for you and then just transfer the title in your state. There are people that will do that for you very cheap.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
By the way, if you do have a problem, have someone title it in Mi. for you and then just transfer the title in your state. There are people that will do that for you very cheap.

Yes, but is it legal?

Just curious.

steve

ptg530C

In Michigan, if a trailer weighs under 2500 lbs and you have a weight slip showing the weight, it is legal to have a trailer registered as "homebuilt". You determine the serial number, pay $75.00 and you get a lifetime plate. Or since Michigan does not issue titles for trailers, (the application for a title is the title), pay $20.00 for the application and then take that to the Secretary of State in your state and they will give you documentation weather it is an application for title, title or plate registration based on the fact that you have a legit title from Michigan.

Its all legal. Funny how there are more regulations for owning a motor vehicle than there are for running a health insurance company or a brokerage firm.

AceHigh

Only problem I had in WV with a SF97 was the Bill of Sale. Needed both according to DMV but they charged me sales tax on the whole generator and trailer price! Advised them a new similar capacity trailer at Tractor Supply would not cost that much, most of the cost was for the generator.

Might as well talk to the wall.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks