• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Title or SF97 Form for HMMWV

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m in Georgia and when I purchased my 1123 April of 2020 my euc cleared in January 2021 after I proved they were lying and failed to submit my paperwork for approval. Even had DLA and TSC involved in a nasty investigation. Long story short, picked truck up in January, just 10 days after DLA and TSC submitted their evidence, title was received august 15th 2021. It’s also a Montana title lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like 7 months after Euc cleared to get your title? There’s no excuse for that. Almost 18 months to complete a purchase. Makes me angry that they can do whatever they want and zero accountability

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
@Mullaney @Maxjeep1
Yeah I finally got sick of waiting and being told my paperwork was lost and resubmitted, then when I had paper proof they were lying I called them and informed them this conversation was being recorded, and sent evidence stating that they should proceed carefully because I’m being advised by the TSC to lodge a lawsuit against them suddenly the entire demeanor changed and they said they’d be right on it. They weren’t lying either, my euc was resubmitted and cleared FAST. Then the LONG wait for the title began. It’s all backwards from my first purchase.

I nabbed my MTVR in September 2019, first time EUC, it cleared TSC and USMC approval in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How many of you have went in with a BOS and a police inspection form filled out? The only truck I got an SF97 was my dump because it came from GSA and sales tax was due. There is no info on an SF97 that is not on a BOS (including tax paid).
This varies greatly by state. What's relevant to IN is irrelevant anywhere else.

Some places want a BOS in addition to a title (NM). Some places won't accept GP's reassignment letters (OK). Some places won't accept an SF97 at all (Tucson). And some places tell you that no military vehicles are legal to be titled at all (Flagstaff).

Generally speaking, titling documents from best to not so great are 1) a title, 2) an SF97 in your name 3) BOS, and 4) something else.

My experience covers multiple states and multiple transfers. (None of my experience is relevant to IN)

As an example of something relevant to IN that you took as a matter of course being applicable elsewhere is the police inspection thing.... I have never once had to have a vehicle inspected. To title my HMMWV I walked in with a signed TN title. The clerk said "three years or five?" I said "five" and handed her the appropriate payment and walked out with 5 year plates and a title.

Back to the OP... My experience relevant to CA is a sample size of three and is dated. My understanding is that currently CA refuses to title and license any HMMWV's for on road use, no matter what paperwork you have. That said, if I were to attempt to register a HMMWV in California, what I'd want to have in my hands is an actual title and whatever inspection paperwork you anticipate they'll want to see. You want the clerk to have an easy and uncomplicated time of it. You do not want to show them some strange SF97 form they've never heard of, because then they want to say "no". If they want to say "no", they'll find a reason to.

More relevant information will hopefully be forthcoming from someone with recent first hand experience specific to the CA HMMWV titling process.

tobyS

I completely agree each state is different and some much more complex, and some methods to get around them sound a lot like fraud.
I'll take it you have answered that California does require an SF97 and that the method of BOS with police vin check is not a legal alternative.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This varies greatly by state. What's relevant to IN is irrelevant anywhere else.

Some places want a BOS in addition to a title (NM). Some places won't accept GP's reassignment letters (OK). Some places won't accept an SF97 at all (Tucson). And some places tell you that no military vehicles are legal to be titled at all (Flagstaff).

Generally speaking, titling documents from best to not so great are 1) a title, 2) an SF97 in your name 3) BOS, and 4) something else.

My experience covers multiple states and multiple transfers. (None of my experience is relevant to IN)

As an example of something relevant to IN that you took as a matter of course being applicable elsewhere is the police inspection thing.... I have never once had to have a vehicle inspected. To title my HMMWV I walked in with a signed TN title. The clerk said "three years or five?" I said "five" and handed her the appropriate payment and walked out with 5 year plates and a title.

Back to the OP... My experience relevant to CA is a sample size of three and is dated. My understanding is that currently CA refuses to title and license any HMMWV's for on road use, no matter what paperwork you have. That said, if I were to attempt to register a HMMWV in California, what I'd want to have in my hands is an actual title and whatever inspection paperwork you anticipate they'll want to see. You want the clerk to have an easy and uncomplicated time of it. You do not want to show them some strange SF97 form they've never heard of, because then they want to say "no". If they want to say "no", they'll find a reason to.

More relevant information will hopefully be forthcoming from someone with recent first hand experience specific to the CA HMMWV titling process.
DMV agents have a binder at there desk, In that binder is instructions the agent is to take for “DLA and former Govt vehicles sales”, has been that way for years and years. The process in that binder was SF97 and bill of sale “invoice was sufficient“. Many years ago the agent gave me a copy and told me not to share it with anyone at DMV because they weren’t allowed to share the info, as if this was some kind of secret info, I told her that’s rediculous, it was a procedural document that was produced by The very tax payer in front of her. I just chalk it up to communist calif.
Recently, the vin verification form was changed to reflect SF97’s as “supporting documentation“ for VIN..that check box has an addition next to it that says “off-Hwy only”

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
DMV agents have a binder at there desk, In that binder is instructions the agent is to take for “DLA and former Govt vehicles sales”, has been that way for years and years. The process in that binder was SF97 and bill of sale “invoice was sufficient“. Many years ago the agent gave me a copy and told me not to share it with anyone at DMV because they weren’t allowed to share the info, as if this was some kind of secret info, I told her that’s rediculous, it was a procedural document that was produced by The very tax payer in front of her. I just chalk it up to communist calif.
Recently, the vin verification form was changed to reflect SF97’s as “supporting documentation“ for VIN..that check box has an addition next to it that says “off-Hwy only”
BUZZ KILL.... DMV instructions
VIN 2017-26 Government Surplus Vehicles

At the information desk... said the word "HMMWV" employee went right to the page. They spell it Humvees.

Easy google. Not so easy CA DMV.

BIG can O worms, CAMO

Action

BUZZ KILL.... DMV instructions
VIN 2017-26 Government Surplus Vehicles

At the information desk... said the word "HMMWV" employee went right to the page. They spell it Humvees.

Easy google. Not so easy CA DMV.

BIG can O worms, CAMO
Maybe i misread the first page. But it states a humvee can be registered for off-highway use IF it is written on the sf97. So what if there is no off-highway stamp on the sf97?
The sentence prior to that one states no on-highway use. A little confusing info.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Maybe i misread the first page. But it states a humvee can be registered for off-highway use IF it is written on the sf97. So what if there is no off-highway stamp on the sf97?
The sentence prior to that one states no on-highway use. A little confusing info.
I was just directing owers to the same page DMV works off of. No means no. A year ago, a buddy down the road , went three time to hear the word NO.

Time to lawyer UP. CAMO

Last edited:

INFChief

Like 7 months after Euc cleared to get your title? There’s no excuse for that. Almost 18 months to complete a purchase. Makes me angry that they can do whatever they want and zero accountability
I’m not at that point yet. GP sent me a customer service survey & I made it clear that with the fees / charges we pay we should not have to wait up to 12 weeks (or longer) for a SF97. I made an additional comment that you could talk to 5 people regarding the same topic and get 5 completely different answers.

tobyS

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well, hopefully it won't take 6+ months to get my M1123 cleared for pickup. That's crazy, and HOLD onto my money for that long.
They are doing a lot more than just "and HOLD onto my money" .

Chances are they are collecting interest for every day that money is in their hands before the government releases paperwork.
They can't sell you something they don't really own.
Hold it - Just in case they need to refund it to you.

They are doing a lot more than just "and HOLD onto my money" .

Chances are they are collecting interest for every day that money is in their hands before the government releases paperwork.
They can't sell you something they don't really own.
Hold it - Just in case they need to refund it to you.
Yeah, I can see this happening. I mean, really, does it take 4-6 months for them to say "He's ok, release it". At least they have $10k of my money in their bank account waiting and waiting.

INFChief

Yeah, I can see this happening. I mean, really, does it take 4-6 months for them to say "He's ok, release it". At least they have $10k of my money in their bank account waiting and waiting.
The EUC (end users certificate) is your certification that you understand the requirements should you resell your vehicle. All the SF97 is the official transfer of ownership. So you’re already approved and no further “investigation” is warranted. GP just needs to get off their butts and get the paperwork in.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I GUESS this is ok news? Or am I dreaming and still have to WAIT 3-6 months MORE for my M1123 to be cleared for pickup? From GP: Submitted to TSC (what's TSC again?), pending approval (9-13-2021).
Taliban Special Corps -- Maybe they have infiltrated our guberment!

TSC really means Trade Security Controls - Making sure that you aren't buying (for example) a HMMWV and then exporting it to (for example) Afghanistan.

:cool:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks